Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rack Mk 5

The guys I posted a link too have fixings for 100, 120, 200's and 70's, 80's & 90' series. They charge a bit extra for the later cars. I would think the other suppliers could also supply fixings for the newer series LC's.
Steve

Well, the resurection of this thread was timely - especially as I dont recall having seen it when it was first started.

Jon: The rack looks great. :thumbup:

Gav: You dont happen to be wanting to get rid of it? :icon-biggrin:

I am actually in the process of replacing my roof rails with Rhino Bars as the current arrangement of the roof tent bolted onto Thule bars clamped to the roof rails is far from ideal. In any case, I need the Rhino Bars to mount the recently acquired Foxwing. I dont really need the platform as the RTT pretty much takes up all the real estate but it would be great if I also managed to build in storage space for the waffle boards. But why stop there? How about somewhere to secure the Hi Lift jack, to mount the CB antenna ...

Jon: Are these the Rhino bars from Boab that you used? They are 1500mm long but I was under the impression that the RR HD bars were H shaped so you could slide bolts in along the top and bottom channels. Maybe I am wrong. These bars look U (or is it C) shaped. I suppose if the bars are U shaped, you could drill mounting holes in the bottom to attach the under slats, but wouldnt this compromise the strength of the bars?

The other thing is about the mounting point. The LC100 has three sets of mounting points. Your rack seems to have four bars. Is the front bar floating or is it attached to the vehicle in some way?

cheers

The bars you linked to are a H section, with a plastic insert optionally pressed into the top channel and there are plastic end caps. The front Rhino feet you get will use a fixing point you can't see till you remove the trim and is just behind the back of the sunroof. I made some feet for the fixing where the original rail mounted at the front and fixed a light bar and an extra cross bar to that.

Gav never got that MK5 rack, I scrapped it (literally) and did a MK6 :shifty:

Last edited:
Thanks Jon.

I'll have another look tomorrow and see whether I need 3 or 4 bars will suffice. I shouldorder the kit as well so I can plan round it. I wouldnt mind a small platform in front of the RTT to store things like hi-lift and shovel, or at least an extra bar to mount the antenna and gps. Lights are not high on the list at the mo.

The MK1 which I probably posted pics of was just a platform in front of the Maggiolina. The hoop I put on the front of it looked a bit odd but it was a useful space.

Found these http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...k-or-bars-help-me-decide/page2?highlight=rack

and these: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...-black-airtop-roof-tents/page5?highlight=rack - where I think you have removed most of the surrounding hoop and just left the bit on the front. This will Mk6 then.

What I would be interested in is the RR bars with the tent resting directly on them, foxwing attached to one side, waffle boards underneath and platform extending forward shovel etc. I'll have a think.

thanks

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 2nd link is the mk6, the first link is the mk2 :lol: I had the 3 Rhino bars with the tent (medium) with waffles underneath and Foxwing mounted to the Rhino bars and a platform in front fixed to the front mounting point and braced back to the Rhino bar behind the sunroof for strength. The tent was as far back as it could go and the platform went to the edge of the windscreen.

EDIT: found a picture of the platform, looked a bit odd with the 'stinger' on the front, a continuous rail would have been better. Not hard to do.

IMG_0542.JPG

Apart from the stinger this was the most practical combo because it added the least weight. The side tubes I subsequently added were pointless really and just added extra weight which is why I ended up scrapping them.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon. That looks like what I need.

The RR HD 1500mm bars, foot kit and foxwing HD mounting kit are on order from TBRUK. £376 delivered. Should have them early next week as the foot kit has to shipped in from Germany.

I will probably build a rack for the waffle boards using ali - I was thinking of using ali angle and flat bar joined with bolts and rivets.

The platform is on hold for now as I think I need to see everything in place before I decude what to do.

Back