Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator replacement

Valli

Country Flag
iceland
I have an ATM D4D prado and know that the radiator was replaced sometime around 150.000 km now that I am getting close to 300.000 km I was wondering if I should replace the current one?

It looks fine on the outside but obviously I have no idea of how the inside is.

during the time I have had the truck I have replaced the coolant and ATM fluid on a regular basis but not sure how much that helps in protecting the inner of the radiator.

any thought on this ?

Kind Regards

Valli P

In theory, if you've been using Toyota red coolant and changing it at the specified times it should prevent internal corrosion for a long time. However, given the consequences with an auto...:think:

Have you considered a separate oil coiler for the trans fluid? If I had an auto I would seriously consider it for peace of mind.

It's a job on my to do list, mine to my knowledge has the original rad in. I will fit a separate cooler soon as planning to do an atf change anyway.

A separate cooler sounds like a good idea. What size coolers are people putting in?

when your car is really working hard, (towing a trailer or caravan) and your temperature gauge is rising, you first check if your fan jumps in. If your viscose fan works, and starts blowing extreme wind, your fan is ok. Next is to find out if your radiator is clogged. switch of engine (take out key for safety) and feel with your hand if your radiator is equally warm. If it's clogged, the clogged places will be much hotter than the open spaces. Even better to check with an infrared temperature meter. I've chanced mine at 300.000 km for the first time after i noticed that is gave higher temperature than before when pulling a trailer. Always use the red coolant, specially made for aluminium engine and heads. Also check the radiator plug on top for dirt or sludge, and your overflow canister for sludge. This gives you a good indication of the inner of the radiator. Radiator plug can be cleaned by air, canister can be cleaned easily by filling it with a little bit of split gravel and shake it clean, then flush it out with water. As long as the coulant gives nice red color it's ok and not poluted. Normally i change at 100.000 km because it's still almost clean. Why do you want to use a separate cooler ? it's designed this way, and it's ok. It even cools down when your engine idles, and you don't need a second temperature gauge to check your oil temperature. I've changed my radiator at 300.000 km, and got it from a radiator factory (ERF - Eindhoven) nearby costing about 150 euro's. (The two in one with gearbox oil cooling.) Original from toyota costed me at least double.
Greetings,
Jack

Back