Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Raid Asterix

Re Fuel:

I've had a mail back from Chris at BOAB to say if you have a fuel range of about 350 miles to a tank you shouldn't need a jerry can / extra fuel.

So I'm going to go with my single tank filled to the brim before the RV point. Wish I had the standard auxilliary tank though. Now to see if I can source one from sunny SA for next year's trip :? :D

Gary Stockton said:
Re Fuel:

I've had a mail back from Chris at BOAB to say if you have a fuel range of about 350 miles to a tank you shouldn't need a jerry can / extra fuel.

Could that not be pushing it? With normal road usage of around 400-450 miles a tank, with lots of hard work, would you not be a bit close to the 350?

CB Fitted and

Hi All CB fitted and working.

1 Hell of a range, well pleased I am.

Just one niggle got a little interference for alternator so I have ordered a little box thingie from Thunderpole that will give it a clean signal.

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

Mal

Looks good Mal. I kind of sorted the problem with mine.......well one of them.........it would appear that it was user error :oops: :oops:

I am no longer quiet and I can now be heard :D

Steve

Righty-ho, off we go (almost) - Mal should be well into his trip - in fact almost finished, and we're off at sparrows tomorrow to catch the ferry at Portsmouth.

Packing almost complete - just the freezer to load in and the coolbox, and our own bags - my little one and SWMBOs TWO big ones :twisted:

Have fun folks - trip report when we get back, hopefully :)

Any last minute problems when in portsmouth just shout, there's a couple of us 5 minutes away from the ferry.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Enjoy. Should be a blast. :D

We'll stay here and carry on as usual :cry:

Ha ha might just!! Maybe pick up my inverter???!!! Nah - too much like serendipity if that were to happen. Hopefully you don't heat from us!

Cheers

Good luck, guys - hope you have good weather and a great trip!

We'll patiently await updates of your progress :geek:

OK, so I'm back, just, and the trip was 'interesting'. I'll post my views and some pics later. Hectic trip there and back - major costs for anyone contemplating it was toll fees and fuel :twisted: I reckon we spent close to €200 on toll fees per vehicle - ok, the roads are nice but that wasn't mentioned in any briefing mails (OK - I should have done more homework ...) and the fuel is about 10% cheaper than here ... and I haven't worked out the fuel yet, but it was a lot ;)

Nothing broke on my vehicle :D :D

More to follow ....

We though it was close to €100 for the toll roads based on taking notice of what we paid on the way back which was roughly two lots of €21 for the main runs and then two lots of a couple of € for the last bit over the bridges into the ferry port? I think we did about 1050km from here to the RV, about 800km in the week (including my detour to the Millau Viaduct) and then about 1050km back home again spending roughly €700 on fuel. Those are quite rough figures though ;)

I was there the week before and ad a good time. Some lanes a little tight but all in all a good time was had by all.

Tip if you do go

Do not camp by Chris from BOAB

He will pop over for a chat and talk for 6 hours none stop.

Mal

Gary Stockton said:
OK, so I'm back, just, and the trip was 'interesting'. I'll post my views and some pics later. Hectic trip there and back - major costs for anyone contemplating it was toll fees and fuel :twisted: I reckon we spent close to €200 on toll fees per vehicle - ok, the roads are nice but that wasn't mentioned in any briefing mails (OK - I should have done more homework ...) and the fuel is about 10% cheaper than here ... and I haven't worked out the fuel yet, but it was a lot ;)

Nothing broke on my vehicle :D :D

More to follow ....

You sound like you were less impressed than you'd hoped to be....?

Personaly I enjoyed the trip but I think it took me till tuesday or maybe even wednesday before I got the hang of how it worked and could relax properly. This was my first driving trip outside the uk as an adult so there was lots to take on board and then on top of that the navigation format was quite a challenge for us initially so for the first fews days didn't enjoy the trip properly. The others seemed to do just fine though so I don't know if they'd all been before or we were just crap at navigating :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Personaly I enjoyed the trip but I think it took me till tuesday or maybe even wednesday before I got the hang of how it worked and could relax properly. This was my first driving trip outside the uk as an adult so there was lots to take on board and then on top of that the navigation format was quite a challenge for us initially so for the first fews days didn't enjoy the trip properly. The others seemed to do just fine though so I don't know if they'd all been before or we were just crap at navigating :mrgreen:

It did get better for us as well as the week went on.

We Had a great time, loved it all, the swimming the rock climbing oh yeh and the off roading lol. It did take a couple of days to get into it but was great fun. I am thinking of doing it again so that I can relax into it, now that I know how it plans out and I could do some of the sections backwards......especially the Rock.

Pictures and Vids to follow

Jimbo4x4 said:
Pics! pics! pics! :twisted:

You asked for it :mrgreen:

On the Friday evening we (me & Ray) met Gary and Angela part way down to Portsmouth when we realised they were only a couple of miles ahead of us and then we traveled down in convoy to meet Steve & Kev at the ferry terminal.

Good job I got the height right on my booking because it was a tight fit where the loaders wanted my truck:

Image0150.jpg

Pulling away from Portsmouth:

Image0151.jpg

We had a sleep on the ferry and then on Saturday drove the approx 475 miles south to a camp site Steve had picked out on the net which turned out to be really nice:

Image0164.jpg

Then on Sunday it was approx 50km to the RV and our first taste of the raid with stickers going on the trucks and a briefing from Chris on how things were going to work:

IMG_0963.JPG

Everyone else seemed to do just fine but we had to go round the 1st section of the test route several times before Ray started getting the hang of the road book and we got to the village above the RV:

IMG_0969.JPG

then it was follow the remainder of the road book to Sunday nights camp site by the river.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

Day two involved a bit of going round in circles but we drove some nice tracks, saw some sights, had a paddle through some water and climbed mountains

IMG_0978.JPG

and a very small but pleasant camp site at the end of the day. It was quite chilly on this site though, I think it was about 3500ft ASL or not far off and you could feel it!

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

Day three involved less going round in circles, more driving nice tracks and ringing a bell along the way. I bet the villagers are sick of hearing that bell :mrgreen:

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

Onwards and upwards we climbed past broken ski lifts until we eventually saw a little bit of snow at about 5300ft ASL:

IMG_0997.JPG

It was very scenic, shame I'm not a better photographer:

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

Saw some nice horses:

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

Found a nice picnic spot:

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Gary fancied a dip in ice cold water :shock:

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

Stopped in a little village for a bit of shopping and a coffee before going on to the Gite we'd be stopping in:

Image0168.jpg

Image0171.jpg

Day 4, Wednesday, was a fairly easy drive down the mountains to the river Tarn for an afternoon of kyacking for most people:

Image0173.jpg

Image0174.jpg

shopping / bars for a few and a detour to the Millau Viaduct for me & Chris:

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

day 4 we drove up along the top of the Tarn gorge for a while:

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

and then moved on into another valley

IMG_1097.JPG

passing Asterix's tomb or something like that along the way:

IMG_1098.JPG

Day 5 was a bit more fun, we had to double back at one point to give some assistance to a stranded LR driver and then play catch up which we eventually did. There were always plenty of nice places to stop off along the way the whole week:

IMG_1099.JPG

Part of this days route was 'the rock' :roll: a bit of a squeeze in places with the RT and Foxwing on but not too bad. We had an audiance of pilgrims who started off looking unhappy to see a 4x4 and then got excited when they realised where we were going and rushed back to the bottom of 'the rock' to take pictures :lol: One of them even took pictures on Ray's camera for us to save him having to get out and gave us a little clap at the bottom :mrgreen: We'll have to wait for Ray or someone else to post pics of that section, I don't have any.

We stayed in a nice hotel for our last night on the raid, near an interesting bridge and had a nice evening meal and a drink or three:

IMG_1106.JPG

Image0194.jpg

Image0199.jpg

Day 6 was just a mornings driving about to get us up and out of the hotel - saw a bit more of the bridge:

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

A bit more climbing up mountains:

IMG_1114.JPG

before a final fairwell in a village somewhere.

In the afternoon we drove up to Amboise near Tours and found a nice camp site on an island in the Loire that Angela had spotted in a guide book:

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

There was some sort of balloon event going on:

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

Sunday morning we had a stroll into Amboise to see what we could waste more money on :mrgreen:

Image0223.jpg

Image0224.jpg

Image0230.jpg

and then drove up to the ferry terminal ready to come back:

Image0232.jpg

bit more space this time

Image0233.jpg

departing:

Image0234.jpg

Portsmouth in the distance:

Image0236.jpg

Image0244.jpg

Image0247.jpg

Image0249.jpg

Image0251.jpg

Image0255.jpg

Ray getting his Mr Bump presentation (he was a bit accident prone!) from Steve & Kev:

Image0237.jpg

Backing into the parking spot:

Image0258.jpg

Then it was back up the motorway and home for about 12:40am.

Back