Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rank?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
While looking in the member list to find someone, i see there is a rank column, any plans to use this?

I don't think there is a way to automate it out of the box. At the moment, I can assign ranks to people. i.e. Site Admin, Mod etc. Damned if I am doing that to everyone myself ;)

I have a couple other plugins I and been playing with and should hopefully install soon (Got a cracking map one I am trying to get working ). I was thinking of getting one that automatically ranks people and puts it in their sig.

Crispin, I personally don't favour the ranking system because when I used to own a green oval I was a member of theit LRO forum which had the ranking up and running, I felt that a lot of members were posting all sorts of silly crap just to boost their position ! just a thought :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Nick.

Crispin, I wouldn't favour a ranking system either, better to have everyone equal, there's bound to be someone who wasn't satisfied with the rank they ended up with, or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick :think:

We are all equal, some more so than others :whistle:

BIG clean GREEN said:
I felt that a lot of members were posting all sorts of silly crap just to boost their position ! just a thought :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Nick.

I am still a member of a lot of LR forums ;)

But posting crap even happens on here, just look at some of the post counts of some on here :o :lol: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul_Humphreys said:
[quote="BIG clean GREEN":3dr951y1]I felt that a lot of members were posting all sorts of silly crap just to boost their position ! just a thought :thumbdown: Cheers,Nick.
I am still a member of a lot of LR forums ;) But posting crap even happens on here, just look at some of the post counts of some on here :o :lol: :lol:[/quote:3dr951y1]
Or is it that you just don't agree with or are interested in with what they are posting about. :think:

Cossack said:
Or is it that you just don't agree with or are interested in with what they are posting about. :think:

lol, I take it you did not spot the smiley faces?? None of them, I read most of the posts on here, but only reply when I have something worth saying. Sae as I do on most forums I am on. I do not go into every forum every day as I am a member of about 30 forums :shock: . Most are to do with 4x4s of all makes, but I do not read all sections.

But I bet of you lost the Word association threds (that were set up for people to get their post count up) then there would be a lot of people with a lot less posts.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Cossack said:
But I bet of you lost the Word association threds (that were set up for people to get their post count up) then there would be a lot of people with a lot less posts.Paul
Is that what they were set up for? and there was me thinking it was for fun, just shows how wrong you can be.

I agree, the word assosiation is set up for that purpose, however we don't have the ranking system therefore we're only posting replys because we want to and not to increase our rank, that's what I was aiming at ! ;)

Nick.

Not a problem for me.

I've never understood the obsession in most forums with post count and ranking.

There is an army of keyboard warriors out there whose sole aim seems to be to clock up as many posts as they can in the mistaken belief that having 1,000+ posts makes them a "fundi" (expert) worth reading or taking notice of and that they are important and respected as a result.

Either one has something worthwhile to contribute or one hasn't. No amount of posting will change that fact and certainly the ranking/post count wont draw me to a particular posters high-count drivel ;)
I'm sure the same goes for most on here, so rank away say I.

"Empty vessels........" and all that springs to mind! :whistle:

The plug-in I was thinking about was just a way for someone to "thank" someone else for help. Automatic "the more you post, the better your rank" is, well, there already.

I think it's also a harsh to knock the word association thread and people who post there. I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that they have 4 billion posts therefore they are great. Those threads were created to create a bit of interaction between members in the early days. It's a bit of fun? Hardly a conspiracy to make you seem great...
If you wanted to say that people artificially inflate their post counts then the lounge should be closed. It's one of the busiest sections and pretty much pointless other than just plain ol' chin-wagging.

While this forum lacks a lot of some of the better ones (LCCSA, 4X4 forum spring to mind but in our defence, we're only just about to turn 1) in terms of content and other things, it would certainly die a death if there was not a bit of "pointless" talk as well. Something like the Word Association thread adds to that.

Finally, what does post count mean or prove? I only snoop on a few 4x4 forums but am active on many IT ones (my day job) and there are two high-post people: Those who ask a lot of questions and those who answer a lot of questions. Without either of them, the forum would be pointless. So, is post count or ranking really something to get excited about? A good case was a guy on a SQL forum who had cracked the 1000 post count. His rank was changed to Wizard or similar. While he was happy with that, someone pointed out that of all his posts, none were helpful but rather they were all questions. He never did come back yet he was valuable.

Cheers,
CP

:mrgreen:

Wow, what a can of worms this is, I meant no offence to anyone and apologise if I have, :romance-grouphug:

Nick.

A forum I use has a ranking system like the Karate belt system. 5000 posts equals Black Belt for example. The result is they have rules to stop people making random useless posts to get a higher belt. This is pointless as some people there assume a black belt knows what they're talking about just from post count..

But there is another forum I use which has a Thanks/Cheers button for your posts. So if you find a post useful you click it to say cheers, and people have a total on their profile like "been thanked XXX times" etc

That sounds like a nice option to me, as some members here do give out a lot of assistance. It could be a good way of giving recognition to those who actively share their knowledge with the rest of us.

:mrgreen: No can of worms, just another conversasion topic ;)

That's what I had in mind Kevin.

:D

Sounds good to me too :thumbup:

If there was a ranking system, at what point would Chris turn from "Uncle" to the "God Father" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick.

Olazz said:
Not a problem for me.

I've never understood the obsession in most forums with post count and ranking.

There is an army of keyboard warriors out there whose sole aim seems to be to clock up as many posts as they can in the mistaken belief that having 1,000+ posts makes them a "fundi" (expert) worth reading or taking notice of and that they are important and respected as a result.

Either one has something worthwhile to contribute or one hasn't. No amount of posting will change that fact and certainly the ranking/post count wont draw me to a particular posters high-count drivel ;)
I'm sure the same goes for most on here, so rank away say I.

"Empty vessels........" and all that springs to mind! :whistle:

IMHO Spot on :whistle:

I have been a member of a LR fouum for almost 10 years!! And have not made it to 5000 posts yet.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but the Word Association posts seem to have reduced drastically. :think: c'mon chaps, Nil illegitimate carborundum :thumbup:

Cossack said:
Maybe it's just coincidence, but the Word Association posts seem to have reduced drastically. :think: c'mon chaps, Nil illegitimate carborundum :thumbup:

I had noticed the same thing :( (Hypocrite as I have never taken part ;) )

Maybe a good time to lock them eh Crispin?! :twisted:

Only kidding :angelic-halo:

Back