Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rattling windscreen, yes my windscreen is rattling

Rob

Garage
My 80 developed a new rattle while in Mongolia and after closer inspection I discovered that the windscreen is actually moving about :? If you look at the rubber around the windscreen there was a clean patch of bodywork only about 2mm wide where the rubber has rubbed and kept it clean. This windscreen was replaced about 10 mouths ago and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or is this just down to shoddy fitters. The windscreen is not bonded like on newer cars, but when fitting a new one they reused the old windscreen rubber. Should it of been fitted with new rubber? I still have the 1 year warranty, but would like to know as much as possible before I complain.

Rob

I had an issue with this for ages due to water leaking in.
I finally found out that an 80 needs bonding as well as stringing in.
It was found on the first 80s that due to body flex just stringing wasn't enough so Yota started bonding too. Mine went back to Autoglass for a new seal and bonding. No issues since :thumbup:

yeah mine does this- it leads to leaks, and rust starting along the edge of the windscreen surround- not goood!

Looks like I need to get them to sort it out then, it did leak when first installed and they came and put some black sealant stuff on the inside of the rubber (between the windscreen and the rubber) and that seemed to stop the leaking.

After that amount of time I would insist on a new rubber seal before bonding.
The movement may well have damaged the old one.
When they did my screen first time they did put in a new seal. I then insisted on another new one when it went back for bonding.
It forced them to take out the glass and bond properly rather than trying to bond under the lip of the seal.
They also paid to have my carpets removed, cleaned and dried after all the rain water that got in.

It must be worth a try, and let them know that the screen is meant to be bonded. My local Autoglass found this out after phoning Toyota.
They wouldn't take my word for it :evil:

when autoglass did my back window they had use to my old seal because they dont make a seal anymore and when they fitted my front they used a new seal but no sealer even thoe i told him to so had to call them back as it leaked the next day

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A bit odd with mine, the old seal had a black rubber press in bead on the outside and the new one has a metallic chrome looking seal strip.

Chrome! On my cruiser! Id rather have a leaky windscreen.

x_shaun said:
later cruisers just have rubber older have a crome insert
That explains it then. They searched for ages to get a black one but couldn't. The one they did get came from the local Toyota dealer.
I've got used to the chrome strip now but would have preferred the original black.

Back