Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear axle question

diggerdave

Hi all - hoping your collective wisdom can help.

I want to replace the rear axle case (close to rotting through and all over in nasty condition). It's an axle with rear differential lock, so I know that I need an axle case that's the same.

My 90 does not have ABS but the only new rear axle case that is available is for models with ABS.

Can anyone tell me whether the axle case for an ABS model will fit my non-ABS model? If the only difference is the holes for the ABS sensors then I assume they can be blanked off (or welded if it came to it). However I'm concerned whether there would be other differences that would prevent transfer of components from one to the other.

Milner (who have the axle cases in stock) aren't being very helpful, making reference to 'diff aperture is different, and the spacing for the bearings etc will be different'. But I think they're confusing ABS with differential lock. The guy from Milner recommended checking here (wise advice).

I can't think why Toyota would change things, but it could be an expensive gamble if so!

Can anyone confirm?

On the same subject, I think all 90 axles are the same track aren't they? Mine is a 'narrowbody' (i.e. lacking plastic wheelarch), but I assume that's just bodywork and that all axles were the same length wheel-to-wheel.

I very much doubt you will get a definitive answer but i'm inclined to think much of the 90 series followed on from the Surf or American 4runner s i would expect it to fit regardless .

Narrow body makes no difference i don't think because the 90 didn't need flares for the standard wheels they were just a superficial aesthetic facelift .

If its sold as a 90 series axle case and it doesn't fit consumer rights are on your side to return it . Though i doubt you would need to go that route with Milners .

Think sae70 "Steve" replaced his front diff with one from a Surf years ago on here if that lends any confidence .

A blanking plate instead of a sensor would bolt in the same place .

Maybe have a look at yours to see if you could fit an ABS reluctor ring if you chose to .

Last edited:
you're welcome to pop down and compare with the one on mine if you want Dave.

Thanks Andy and Shayne. I guess this would be an 800 quid gamble. Back to the drawing board.

Back