Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear battery

tomrichardson

I know this has been done before with split charge systems but.....
If i put a battery in the back of my 80, and link it to the drivers side battery in parallel, with a fuse (40a) at each battery, 200a isolator switch, 10mm2 cable on both pos and neg, can anyone see any great problems???
I was thinking of switching off the isolator when using the inverter or any 12v appliance. Then just turn it on to charge the battery (with the engine running). Kind of like a manual split charge system.
I cant see why it wouldnt work. It just relies on my memory but with fuse protection its kinda foolproof???????
Thanks , tom

Like this you mean?

IMG00192-20110618-1617.jpg

If you don't have aircon you could just run a second alternator by using the bracket point for the aircon pump and run the battery off that. that way there is no attachment at all to your main batteries. new alt on ebay is 120 quid, quite a bit less if not the oval fitting.

I have got aircon, although it needs recharging! So a 2nd alternator is not really an option.
The picture looks like a similar idea to mine. I cant find anywhere charge currents for such a setup, so thought 40a would be enough, and 10mm cable is good for about 60a. I can always alter this to suit.
The other option was a split charge diode, but i remember problems with them on boats, doing strrange things, back feeding and burning out. As well as the 0.7v drop of course.

Tom, have a look at this

http://www.adverc.co.uk/batterymanageme ... ng-systems

I have this http://www.adverc.co.uk/product/801

on my defender and it's fit and forget. never had a problem with it and I have a numax 110 AH leisure battery on it. the diode system is far more reliable than a VSR

you might also find this interesting, running alternators in parallel

http://www.adverc.co.uk/batterymanageme ... onceptions

by the way, i have no connection to adverc at all, I just like their products and they work well.

Hi Tom I have 3 batteries in mine, 2 cranking under the bonnet and a 120 A/H deepcycle in the back.
#NO: 2 battery, Aux Cranking battery under bonnet
Its wired through a (I think it was) 50amp solonoid thats activated when the key is turned to on. Key in the acc or off position its isolated from the main battery.I did this so the batteries were not linked unless in on position. "Downside" with motor running its pulling off both batteries.
#NO: 3 battery, Deepcycle in the rear cargo area
Its wired through a seperate Piranha 180 solonoid which is a proper pupose made dual battery solonoid (Not sure if you have heard of this brand over there).This system works different to other one, it has overload & battery spike protection and has ports to plug a monitor and a solar panel straight in to it.It will not open the circuit to charge deepcycle untill the main or in my case mains are charged.

So 2 seperate systems that seem to work well as all 3 are charging 14.3 volts tested as each battery.
With the key in the off or acc position all 3 are independant of each other. I will use the aux one under bonnet for all my extra acc needs including running my caravan interior lights. The deepcycle in the back will be for running a 45l waeco fridge only.
I dont have any pics to show you, but will get some if your interested.
Thats how I done mine, just thought I would let you know in case you can use any of the ideas.
Cheers Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have now converted to a 12v starter so have no need to fit a battery in the back...simple!

regards

Dave

Back