Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear diff lock

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Got the day off today, so had a go to see if the locks show working.
Don't think the transfer box has had any use, was very stiff getting it to HL, but the light stayed on.
Then tried LL, the light was just flashing, drove forward and back 4 or 5 times about 5 yards (in a straight line) nothing, just kept flashing.

Anything else I can try (on tarmac), or just keep going back and forward, maybe drive a bit further say 10 to 15 yards

That is not a typical problem but i wouldn't jump the gun and start looking for technical solutions just yet , it hasn't been used and i assume your trying it with a cold engine . I would try it when you arrive home after a drive every day for a week before deciding it was a problem .

You don't have to be timid with the centre diff select LL and drive around in a circle - when your oils are warm .

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say but that does sound like the typical rear diff lock actuator problem IMHO.

Might be worth driving in a gentle arc whilst trying to engage it.

Also worth having a look at the actuator assembly itself to see what state it's in.

Mixed messages , are you trying to get LL or the switch rear to lock ?

Shayne, I thought LL was to lock the rear diff? (with the dial ) or am I getting confused

Rear diff lock will only activate if the transfer box is in LL (Low Locked) The rear is activated by the dial switch

You have 3 options on the transfer leaver, High (H) for normal driving, High Locked (HL) with the center diff locked and then Low Locked (LL) which engages low range. On top of the LL you have the option to lock the rear diff using the dial switch

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I assumed that Brian had already engaged LL and was using the rotary switch to engage the RDL - hence the flashing red light on the dash?

The switch you couldn't find under and to the right of your steering wheel is the rear locker .

The smaller gearstick allows you to select locked/unlocked centre diff and high or low gearing . The rear diff can only be engaged when Locked centre in low range has already been engaged .

At least that's the only time i use it , if your your locked and low which will cope with almost anything you throw it at and things suddenly look a little more daunting you can flip the switch and engage the rear while on the move .

I assumed that Brian had already engaged LL and was using the rotary switch to engage the RDL - hence the flashing red light on the dash?

Yes that is what I had done

This is now confusing me

I've read the Collie is permanent 4x4 (H on the transfer lever) HL locks the Centre Diff, LL (without the dial) is Low Range, LL (with dial) locks the rear Diff
Have I got that right?
Now if I go into LL (without the dial) what lights come up on the dash, the same as if I use dial? or am I confusing things

What would HL cope with?
If the lights flashing when I engage LL, (without the dial) does that mean Low Range isn't working?

Last edited:
Is it the same for the auto rdl to engage while on the move anyone please as never tried it.

From memory and locked centre shows as a solid orange light , then if you turn the rear locker switch another light will flash red until it locks and goes solid .

Yes that is what I had done

This is now confusing me

I've read the Collie is permanent 4x4 (H on the transfer lever) HL locks the Centre Diff, LL (without the dial) is Low Range, LL (with dial) locks the rear Diff
Have I got that right?
Now if I go into LL (without the dial) what lights come up on the dash, the same as if I use dial? or am I confusing things

What would HL cope with?
If the lights flashing when I engage LL, does that mean Low Range isn't working?

Strange your getting flashing with LL because if your getting a steady light on HL it proves the centre difflock is working? if i remember rightly put the transfer box in LL with the Gearbox in Neutral, and it goes in easier. Its better if you are on gravel or loose surface to let the wheels slip a bit. once you get the LL to stay steady rotate switch when at a standstill and you should get another light up telling you something is disabled (cant remember if it is the abs or something else)

Your collie is permanent 4x4 but in normal driving it will allow all 4 wheels to turn at different speeds to assist handling and reduce tyre wear on the open road . When you lock the diffs wheels all turn at the same speed which is great to keep you going when traction is hit and miss . I will lock the rear on the move to get past the next few lumps and bumps then flick it off to be sure i will go around the tight bend that follows because if the rear is locked and has more traction than the front its likely you will just continue in a straight line regardless of steering .

abs light comes on as its disable when locked and the Rear Diff Lock is a separate light

center diff lock light is the 4 wheels, axles and driveshaft with a X in the middle of the driveshaft showing center is locked

rear diff lock light is the same but with the X in the middle of the rear axle

post-32690-0-02276000-1368434030.jpg

Ha i don't think my read diff is working ether?…its a auto i put it in LL no problem turn the file for rear diff lock but it just flashes…dose not go solid and i can't hear it locking..any ideas? thanks matt

A stuffed rear diff is very common the actuator housing corrodes and falls to bits but sometimes it just doesn't work through lack of use . I was lucky mine was just seized because it was never used and even luckier because removing a plate on the side of the housing and squirting some penetrating oil was the fluke fix for me .

thanks yes i need to get under it and have a proper look..

Happy bunny, tried the rear diff lock again today (on tarmac)...the light stayed on :icon-biggrin:
Thanks for all the advice that you guys have given

Now about digital cameras.....:icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Back