Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear difflock stuck on ARGH Got to travel tomorrow!

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Well I was sitting in the car and thought "lets have another try and see if the rear difflock will work"

Well I put it on and voila it worked. But now it wont disengage. Got to travel to Cornwall tomorrow....help!

Its definitely locked, I can feel it.

So I am reading now what I can do and it seems its okay to get the actuator off, then move a rack manually. What about ABS ? My ABS light is on too. Will that go off?

have you tried reversing slowly forwards and backwards. if you have turned you may have added some torque to the pin that may hold it in place?

adrianr said:
have you tried reversing slowly forwards and backwards. if you have turned you may have added some torque to the pin that may hold it in place?

If this doesn't work and it's more extreme wind up then jack one rear wheel up and try again. I've had my rear difflock take over 200m to disengage on dusty track because of windup.

thanks, did try going forward and back but nothing. will try some more, and jack a rear wheel.

Hi Kevin,
Sorry to hear of your troubles - what caused your difflock to engage in the first place? Presume it was deliberate and not a wiring glitch somewhere? The ABS light coming on is probably due to having to engage low range to engage the difflock - is your 95 an auto? If you are in low range, I'm sure that the ABS light will go off when you've sorted the difflock and you're back in high range!

If there's anything I can do to help, just shout - I can shoot over now and lend a hand. I owe you a favour after you carried our bashplates ;)

Cheers,

EDIT: Have you tried reversing in circles? I recall something about that helping unstick rear difflocks :ugeek:

Sorry to hear mate hope it gets sorted soon....

adrianr said:
have you tried reversing slowly forwards

wow reversing forward... I must give that a go... :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I jacked a rear wheel, and done some more back and forth .

Thanks for the offer Andrew. Yes it is an auto. I intended to lock it. But just didnt think it would stay locked :x

Oh well looks like its a rental car for the weekend... :cry: :cry: and probably a new actuator

Guys - is it not possible to remove the cover and pull the pin back out?

I would drive it around the neighbourhood a bit (gently) and look for a nice gravel carpark to drive around in circles. It's probably just sticking a bit and will come undone.

When are you leaving for Cornwall? I'd be happy to pop round after work tomorrow evening and give you a hand. A rental car sounds like a big expense.
I would think unbolting the actuator and trying to free things up manually would be worth a bash before writing it off. Perhaps our resident expert Chris can give a quick-fix suggestion?

Well it disengaged.

Sneaked onto a grass field with the lights off and reversed in circles . nothing.

Anyway I thought I'd take it off and move it manually, but was dreading the bolts being all seized up. Well they were easy enough to get off. However the actuator itself was stuck (missed a bolt/stud?).

So I just used the trusty old hammer to bang on it and it unlocked shorty after.

:oops:

Thanks chaps

Ah the trusty hammer.

Most useful tool in the bag after a good imagination. Now back to reversing forwards.... :lol:

Glad its sorted.

Cool, glad you got it sorted! It sounds like you might be doing a bit of maintenance on the actuator before you head off to Africa or anywhere else challenging :twisted:

nice one glad it's sorted mate....

a typical case of:

If all fails use a big hammer....

Back