Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear locker died

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As per the title really, my rear locker made a lovely grinding noise and packed up on me while engaged too :-(
Rather annoying as I'm going to tong in 2 weeks and I'll be away with work for a week between now and then!!

Stripped the gear cover off and it's all fine in there (needs a clean and grease) so got the power probe out and it seems the motor doesn't do anything. I was going to strip it but need to use it Monday and Tuesday. Had a search and seems the magnets can fall off and stop the motor. Just hope it comes off in one piece!!! Time for a new one otherwise!!

Some members have glued the magnets back in place with success.

On mine, it was just stuck and it need lubing.

My front locker was dust and our hero Karl fixed me up with a replacement in no time. :clap:

Cheers clive:icon-wink:

Once you have had a look Gary let me know. Got new or second hand units.

If magnets have all come off I may be able to get you a photo to help.

Cheers Karl. I need to have a proper look when get it back in the mancave, taking it apart to dis engage on a dark lane was fun!! Broke the 3 screws for the gear cover but if I can salvage it they'll drill out, motor cover screws don't look great either.
Need to fix before tong really but it's getting time to do everything!

Well finally got round to stripping the rear lock actuator, one bolt needed help from a chisel but came apart without drama!
Magnets have come loose. Going to pop to a company near work who recon motors and see if they've got something to re glue them. With a bit of luck it'll be a nice cheap fix, it'll be taking a chunk out of my exhaust fund otherwise lol!!

These 'king bells and whistles lockers are just a nuisance. What's wrong with just a cable and lever??? Not posh enough I suppose.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These 'king bells and whistles lockers are just a nuisance. What's wrong with just a cable and lever??? Not posh enough I suppose.

Frank

Ha ha! Nice one Frank!

Everything has to be push button these days, or worst still automatic, controlled by sensors and microchips! So much to go wrong (ask a RR owner and that's not the rolls type!) :lol:

I'd happily have a lever and cable. As long as the lever handle matches the leather interior lol.

Well took the motor in today and the magnets have been stuck back in place, didn't want anything for doing it said had the epoxy stuff out anyway. Tonight's job is drill out the broken screws, give it all a good clean and grease then plug in to test it.

Conversion of the E lockers on the 80 series to cable operation, similar to that on the 60 series, has been done by some guys on the ih8mud forum but the consensus seems to be that they are not easy to use, being awkward to lock/unlock. Maybe the locking mechanism in the 80 series diffs works differently to that in the diffs on earlier series? Conversion to air operation looks like the most popular mod but this obviously requires a compressor and air tank(s), piping and valves etc.

Last edited:
Well it now works electrically :clap: little motor does what a little motor should, not quite working though! Seems to be sticking mechanically!! Take it off and put power to it everything is fine, bit in the axle moves ok but bolt it on and it won't have it :icon-evil: after drilling out the snapped bolts and putting it all back together for it to not work properly I gave up, turned lights off locked up and came home!!
I'll have another go tomorrow eve.... I will not be defeated and will fix it lol. (Tight Yorkshireman won't spend money :lol:)

Isn't there a sequence to refitting the rear locker? I can't be sure but I know the front one bolts straight on no bother, but the rear you have to do some kind of alignment routine. Someone will come to your rescue soon!

Its def an alignment issue, it's not far off working which is a bonus! After a very long day at work I just wanted it to work lol. Was better to give up then carry on and potentially break something!

Its here on the forum somewhere... but I had a little look and no show. Sorry!

Hi

Those 3 little screws that broke off just hold the cover in place but do not align it. That is done by the 2 little dowels on the same face. These corrode off but you should be able to see them on the aluminium surface. Line these marks up with the 2 little holes in the steel cover and then tighten the screws. SIMPLES:icon-biggrin:

you also need to make sure the motor/cog is in correct position too - i.e. locked or unlocked before you fit and corresponds to whether the diff internals are locked or unlocked to match

Right school boy error time :oops:
So checked the pointers as above, little motor cover was fitted as it should be, the gear part was fitted as it should be and in the right place,
Again power probe out to check and motor spins in both directions and moves the actuator bits ok.
Bolted back up and plug in nothing happens still............. so check power supply to motor all ok, so unplug and get power probe out and locker goes in and comes back out as it should....... then brain decides to engage!!! Swapped the wires over in the plug and reconnect, now works spot on as it should.... someone :whistle: made sure the magnets went back in so the poles were opposed etc but put them in the wrong place and basically reversed polarity of the motor :lol: :lol:

Locker works again though and has cost nothing to sort

Best thing is it goes in a lot better then it did before!
Soon as I realised polarity was wrong I knew what I'd done wrong. Back to saving for an exhaust then.

Back