Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear recovery point

hocktag

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased my first 4wd, a '97 troopy. I am wondering if this loop on a plate with 4 bolts attaching it to the rear bar is a suitable recovery point for snatch straps? Or should I purchase something that uses the hayman reese tow hitch.

I have also read that there is no suitable recovery point on the front if a bullbar is mounted, is that correct?

Thanks for your help.
20210204_143935.jpg

That would be ok for a tar mac tow of a skate board as you have a 2 inch receiver hitch just below you should be able to get a ready made one drilled to accept D shackles and make you recoveries safer you should also be able to buy from Ironman ARB Black Rat and such companies Tested and Rated recovery eyes some of the Aus members may be able to help with a company close to you Tested and Rated gear does cost but is a way lot cheaper than a life pop over to the introduction page and introduce yourself properly put up some pictures of your truck and what you want to do or have done and lastly welcome to the club

I have successfully towed, pulled a car out of a ditch, and given tow starts to several vehicles, when I had that standard fitment on my 78.
That 'ring' is bolted through the rear crossmember, so has strength in it, and is bloody heavy gauge.
As to hard core recovery, maybe too lightweight.
You would be infinitely better using something that is better designed and suited to your needs,
bolted/welded and braced to several points on the chassis.

That is a shipping ring, used to secure the car during transportation to the dealer. Like Tractionman says, it's strong enough for careful use on tarmac, but not for heavy duty use off road. Don't try and use it for a snatch recovery. You will either banana your rear crossmember or it will pull out and someone will die.

Like SteveJB says, you should use a proper tow hitch for recoveries, or else get shackles properly mounted to the ends of the chassis rails. Something like this.
R0012452.JPG

Swivel1.jpg

there is no suitable recovery point on the front if a bullbar is mounted, is that correct?
No, it's not. Depends on the bullbar. But they must be mounted low down where it is fixed to the chassis.
Posed.jpg

Tel where did you get the front and rear recovery eyes from and that truck of yours got some purpose Vee nice

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you like the truck, Steve, it's up for it OK! Me and that truck have done a few great trips together round Morocco, Algeria & Libya (back when we could).

The rear swivel shackles were from QT Services, Catalogue Item E1100. Unfortunately they seem to have gone bust last month. Lockdown victims, I expect.

The front ones were from www.firstfour.co.uk Just search for swivel recovery on their site and there's quite a choice.

Thanks Steve, Tractionman and Tel for the help and for the examples. Good to know that it is just a shipping ring. I will get a proper recovery point sorted.

Back