Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Washer Clean

frank rabbets

Guru
The rear washer pipe is in a sections;

1. Rubber pipe from bottle to expanding joint under passenger kick plate.
2. Larger diameter plastic pipe to reducing joint somewhere behind rear wheel arch.
3. Smaller plastic pipe to one way valve under rear jack holder.
4. Plastic pipe to grommet/joint in rear frame into gap.
5. Right angle joint to rubber pipe running into tailgate.
6. Washer jet.

Method of clearing.

1. Disconnect first rubber pipe from joint behind kickplate. Use motor to flush through.
2. Reconnect above then remove one way valve under jack holder. Flush the pipe through.
3. Remove one way valve off last pipe and clean it out. On the pump side you should see a ss ball. On the jet side you should see a ss spring.
4. Reinstall the one way valve joining the pipes up. Make sure ball is on pump side.
5. Open the tailgate and pull the right angle joint out of the rubber joint/grommet and also out of the rubber pipe. Flush the pipe through.
6. Remove the grommet from the tailgate and remove the jet assy by squeezing the foam washer sideways whilst pulling the jet.
7. Pull the jet out and take the pipe off. Lever the brass eyeballs out using a hard wire. Behind these you will find loads off crap which I got out by taking a mouthfull of water and sucking and blowing it through. Also a fine wire to wriggle round in there.
8. Reinstall jet assy.

Well it took me all day to unearth all these things including dropping the head lining to see what was going on. I used compressed air on my pipes but not many people have compressors. The only pipe you can replace is the one from washer bottle to first joint. All the others including the one running from the one way valve over head lining are taped up inside the wiring harness.

If blockages cannot be remove I would just use a bypass pipe but remember to reinstall the one way valve.

I shall be installing a very narrow diameter filter on that section of pipe running in the tailgate/frame gap so it is as near to the jet as possible. I did this years ago with the front washer and have never had a problem here.

What a bloody nightmare.

Frank

Mine's routed up the A pillar and along under the roof, dropping down the LHS rear quadrant pillar. Mine's got the barn doors on the back which may be why it's different. The pipe emerges half way down the rear door frame LHS and the only failure has been cracking in the pipe where it has to "hinge" into the door.

On the subject of 80 screen washers, I had a leak where 1 hour after filling the bottle it was empty even with no use. I suspected the pipe connections and/or the seals to the pumps (3 pumps, front rear and headlamp jets). It's impossible to get to these without removal, but getting the bugger off was a pain.

The leak was between the bottles.

"Between the bottles?"

Yes, I found out there are 2 bottles. The one you can see where you fill, and another inside the inner wing and they're connected with a 17mm (ish) dia hard plastic pipe with rubber connectors and jubilee (spring type) clips! What a cranky design. Mr T had a bad day when he approved that one.

I stipped it down and found one of the clips rust/loose, replaced it with a screw jubilee, tightened everything and replaced it. It's much better now, it takes 3 hours to drain!

I have to have it off AGAIN and silicone everything.

Is anyone out there aware of this set up?

Last edited:
Is anyone out there aware of this set up?
Yes, you could just block off the pipe if you don't want the extra capacity. If they hadn't done the bottle in the wing design we'd probably moan about the pathetic washer bottle capacity :lol:

Agreed Jon, but there must have been a better way to achieve it! Theres loads of space in different locations, and I've suffered all sorts of cuts and bruises trying to get at that supplementary bottle, and it's all of 2 extra liters if that! There's room for a 10 liter tank elsewhere under the bonnet! :icon-rolleyes:

Hi Clive

Did you have to take off the wing to get at the wing bottle? On mine there is room for a 8L bottle in front of the l/h battery. My wing bottle has loads of rubbish in as every time I try to wash the whole system out wit a pressure hose more bits appear. My front jet filter is ace. There is loads of stuff in there that would have blocked them.

Frank

Hi Clive

Did you have to take off the wing to get at the wing bottle? On mine there is room for a 8L bottle in front of the l/h battery. My wing bottle has loads of rubbish in as every time I try to wash the whole system out wit a pressure hose more bits appear. My front jet filter is ace. There is loads of stuff in there that would have blocked them.

Frank

Oh no Frank! Nothing that drastic. After removing the visible bottle mounting bolts, I eased it away from its mountings and looked straight down the back of it to see what was stopping it from coming away from the body. Saw the hose poking out of the back and the clip. After releasing the hose clip, it came away and after unbolting the second tank (4 bolt heads were visible on the inner wing plate), I could manouver the second bottle out of its "prison" through the square hole in the inner wing. It was a tight and fiddly job and I wish to goodness that I'd siliconed it when I had it apart!

Now I have to do it again!

Never had an issue with dirt in the system, clean as a whisle inside. I don't have any rust behind the wing and theres very little mud/road dirt in that cavity. I guess there's sealant doing its job between the inner and outer wing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Square hole in the inner wing. Dont think I've got one as I took my outer bottle out like you a few years ago but could not work out how to get the wing one out. I'll have another look as I've run out of jobs !

Frank

Square hole in the inner wing. Dont think I've got one as I took my outer bottle out like you a few years ago but could not work out how to get the wing one out. I'll have another look as I've run out of jobs !

Frank

Run out of jobs Frank, what's that supposed to mean?? Come here quick, I can give you loads... not all car related either!! :lol: My goodness, I wish :pray:.

The visible bottle actually recesses into the square hole I referred to. It's about 6" high x 9" wide at a guess.

No point in taking photos, as it's not visible with the bottle in place and it's too cold today... :hand:

Back