Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommendations please.

mallster70

Country Flag
great_britain
Morning guys, replacing rear calipers and full exaust system on my 97 LWB Collie.

Looked at Ebay, Milners, Roughtrax etc. Money not really an object as working vehicle( just dont want to have to take off road again in 18 mths time!)

Also, after spending some time reading a quite lengthy thread started by Bob, iwas wondering if anyone has an up date on the 1KZ-TE cooling issue?

As my truck has spent a little time off road(2 yrs)!,and once up and running will be towing up to 3 tonnes of cow, im a little concerned.

I have invested in the 76 deg thermostat. The original Toyo rad throughly blown out. After taking out and splitting the fan coupling, found 15ML silicone oil inside. Can anyone confirm that i do need 60ML refill?? I looked on hilux/surf forums who run same engine and all those guys run 10,000 weight oil in their fans, prompting the fan to start up earlier.

Hopefully the combination of the lower degree stat and the fan cutting in earlier, will keep any excessive temps down?

I did see someone mentioned taking the core out of the original stat, thus keeping the seal and keeping the restriction in water flow, but tapping into the top hose an aftermarket stat. Does anyone know if this has been done with any success? I think the original thread pretty much confirmed that where the stat is now , wasnt the best place.

Many thanks Guys.

I'd buy calipers or refurb kits from Brakes International. If you plan to keep it for several years personally I'd go with a genuine Toyota exhaust from Roughtrax because I know they last 10 years + , but their copies look nice in the pictures, and I suppose if an exhaust does start to blow it's not something that immediately takes your car off the road.

I'm only going to mention this in passing but you know the 95 can't legally tow 3 tons of cow on the road? I don't know if that included your trailer also. I never found my old 1KZ-TE full of beans towing that sort of weight (on private land, obviously!). The D4D in my 120 is noticeably better for my 3 tons of sheep (on private land). And I only have Dexters, they don't weigh too much :)

I put a 3" exhaust on my swb90 and it now feels like a supercharged tractor compared to its former civilized self . I found out very recently that the factory temperature gauge actually does work but it took between 10 and 15 minutes at a sustained rpm of 3700 in 5 gear to make the needle move to mid way . It has never moved beyond a couple of mm below midway before . I was happy to see the needle drop back to normal less than a minute after easing off the go pedal especially given i had been driving for 4 hours and with still an hour to go . I have fitted an intercooler so it may not just be the exhaust but i'm happy to think my gauge and my cooling system are adequate .

I put a 3" exhaust on my swb90 and it now feels like a supercharged tractor compared to its former civilized self . I found out very recently that the factory temperature gauge actually does work but it took between 10 and 15 minutes at a sustained rpm of 3700 in 5 gear to make the needle move to mid way . It has never moved beyond a couple of mm below midway before . I was happy to see the needle drop back to normal less than a minute after easing off the go pedal especially given i had been driving for 4 hours and with still an hour to go . I have fitted an intercooler so it may not just be the exhaust but i'm happy to think my gauge and my cooling system are adequate .

Thanks for the reply Rob and Shane. I take on board what guys say about OEM parts as for exausts especially, but where did you get a 3 inch pipe from? is it all the way through? My 95 has replaced a 59 plate HL2 and i can spend a little on it.

As far as the cooling issues go, i think people who give their motors an easier life(from what ive read on this forum and others) tend to get away with things. I still see too many 1KZ-TE engined vehicles sold as non runners with head problems.

After reading up on Aussie Surf forums, many have changed their 'resistors'? on the temp gauge and found more accurate readings. Readings which i dont think were very welcome in some cases!:icon-surprised:

Bob started off a great thread, just wondering if anyone has any success with mods or any more thoughts?

ok Shane i get your point. on Bobs cooling thread a couple of guys were putting digital readers for water temps. ive seen similar on ebay but for head temp monitoring on VW campers(air cooled). for £30 im curious.

looked at zorst thread. looks awesome. im on the phone tomorrow. not much more than genuine toyota. invested in a £3000 Miltek zorst on my RS4 a few years back. looks good value.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back