Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recovery Points

marlot

Is my rear towbar normally considered a suitable recovery point if I'm going along to play days?

And are the eyes at the front suitable, or do I need to fit something more substantial? I was wondering about fitting a watling front towbar (would be useful for my caravanning too). Rated at 2800Kg. Would this be suitable?

If I later want to do some winching, I see a number of plates for mounting winches to towballs. Are these any good?

Advice appreciated!

I've put a lot on the front loops. A lot would say they're not up to it but I've dragged mine out a ditch sideways with them. I would have said if they are to break or bend, that would have been the time.

And the front eyes aren't really of use independently - they are properly tie-down points but are acceptable WITH A BRIDLE for all but the most extreme of recoveries. There is a thread on another forum I'll go find on making and fitting proper recovery points.

On the back the tow ball is ok for mild recoveries, less so if you do not have the cross-member to longitudinal frame member cross-braces - a tow-ball on the rear cross member is dangerous! Rather fit proper recovery points ala the Warn (and similar) hooks AND USE A BRIDLE to distribute the pull more.

You can get a decent bridle at Damar Webbing Solutions (google) - a lot of us have used them!

As for the tow-ball mounted winch - as long as the tow ball is braced properly - see above - should be ok.

HTH

Gary

The Watling front bars are good for maneuvering trailers but they usually hang low and stick forwards a fair bit so you may find it gets in the way a bit off road.

I would go for a medium sized hand winch rather than a removable tow ball mounted electric winch. Much cheaper, much more flexible and less prone to failures but you do have to waggle the lever back and forth to make it go instead of pushing a button :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
I would go for a medium sized hand winch rather than a removable tow ball mounted electric winch. Much cheaper, much more flexible and less prone to failures but you do have to waggle the lever back and forth to make it go instead of pushing a button :)

+1

i've had a tirfor for years, plus we use them at work (fire service) excellent piece of kit.

Back