Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Red turbo light

I had my Alternator changed last year in Spain my RED light was off and on.

Fixed mine fine.

I have a the one off it if you want it for re-coning

Mal

I wouldn't buy one until live stripped the brushes out of it to look as very worn brushes will make the lights flicker, an all that money to replace alternator but it's £5 - £10 for set of brushed which take few mins to fit..

Does your rear wiper work? My rear wiper packed and I had the Disco Dash. I found a poor/corroded earth in the tail gate which I soldered up and it cured both. I think I was lucky sorting that out. If you have some other item not working perhaps there is a faulty earth there.

To thought I'd answered this one 3 years ago.

It is the plug on the back of the alternator that gets lose occasionally. It happens every 12 months or so, I just remove the plug, pinch the female connectors a little to tighten their grip and then it's good for another 12 months. I found strapping the plug wiring to something solid also helped extend the time it takes to shake the connectors lose.

You can buy the plug and pigtails, I would guess Toyota sells them and you solder them on or it will be the bare plug and you crimp the connectors on.

When the connectors get old and hot they lose tension.

regards

Dave

No Ignition Dash lights

I found this thread very helpful so I am adding some more information here in case anyone else comes across a variation of the problem I just encountered.

My problem was NO ignition lights but the engine would start and run and the alternator was charging correctly.

When the key was turned to the IGNITION position the Heater coil, gear lever position lights etc. were all working fine. However the following Timing Belt, A/T Temperature, Water in Filter and Battery Charging lights did not come on :cry:.

When I cranked the engine these lights all came on momentarily until the engine started. I pulled the IGNITION fuse so the engine would not start and cranked the engine and found as long as the engine was cranking the lights stayed alight, apart from the Battery Charge light of course...

I spent most of this morning pouring over the wiring diagram, testing various fuses, connections etc. but I could find no fault and could not even work out what could cause this scenario to occur. Then I finally realised that my missing lights were the same lights that can flash with earth problems or a dodgy alternator plug connection.

So in desperation pulled the plug off the alternator (mine is the old style circular plug) crimped the connectors, sprayed them with WD40 and plugged it back in. All lights are now working perfectly. They come on when they should and no distracting flashing either :icon-biggrin:.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can buy the plug and pigtails, I would guess Toyota sells them and you solder them on or it will be the bare plug and you crimp the connectors on...
Anyone got a part number?

... When the connectors get old and hot they lose tension.
On my recent 4,000 mile Morocco trip my dash lights were doing exactly this on extremely hot days, the dash was like a Christmas tree with all lights lighting up, flashing etc.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have recently bought the 1Hz diesel and have never noticed either the green or the red turbo light working. I believe the engine was overhauled 2000km ago. When should the green light come on?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

An excellent thread. I had this very problem on my 1HD FT Cruiser, 1995. Will be trying the remedies tonight.
Will update the thread of the results.

Just wondering, nobody had any issues with the orange turbo light since 2012 ?

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have recently bought the 1Hz diesel and have never noticed either the green or the red turbo light working. I believe the engine was overhauled 2000km ago. When should the green light come on?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I think the 1HZ is the non-turbo model. So, won't have active green and orange lights. (unless someone added a turbo or changed the engine). I am not sure, but it is just something like loud thinking.

Back