Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing your radiator for cleaning..it's the only way.

24Seven

I have been carrying out some preventative maintenance on my 95 and yet again I have found the radiator partially blocked between the front and the condenser which you cannot see and cannot clean without removing the radiator from the truck.

This is after two years, but only maybe eight days of green lanes in the UK (not mud plugging) which after, the radiator always gets a clean with a pressure washer.

I highly recommend before going on a trip somewhere hot to remove your rad and check its clean. :mrgreen:

Image0040.jpg

Attachments

• Image0040.jpg
    Image0040.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 149
This was the old one I removed a couple of years ago.

Image0043.jpg

Attachments

• Image0043.jpg
    Image0043.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 113
Is the aircon condensor right against the coolant radiator on a 90 then Matt? On my 100 there's quite a big gap and I can get the hose pipe up there and give it a good clean (you should see the pile of sand at the bottom of my drive just from the radiator!) I guess the intercooler on the diesels will complicate things even more ...

I took mine up to see greg to have the same job done and there is a big enough gap (at least a couple of inches) so you can get the hose in there.

might not be news to anyone but using hot water to wash it out works much better than cold.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I heard of a chap once having to soak his whole rad in the bath overnight before he could clean out the fins properly :shock:

As they say 'Mud Sticks' :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Is the aircon condensor right against the coolant radiator on a 90 then Matt? On my 100 there's quite a big gap and I can get the hose pipe up there and give it a good clean (you should see the pile of sand at the bottom of my drive just from the radiator!) I guess the intercooler on the diesels will complicate things even more ...

There is not a gap on the 1KZ-TE, OK I'm not saying it has to be removed all the time, but on mine you would need to remove the sump guard and the lower part of the fan shroud and clean it from under the truck and even then you would not be able to clean both sides.

I'm sure there is a fair amount of extra capacity designed into the cooling system, but I bet if people removed their radiators they would be shocked by what they find, I stand by what I say you cannot clean the radiator properly in place :mrgreen:

Back