Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

repairable write off Prado, repaired and registered

peggsy

Country Flag
australia
Hello all,

I come as a proud ex-owner of a HJ75 (1987) trayback, ex as with the family count now at 4 a trayback wont cut the mustard. As such the search for a bigger vehicle is on.

Ive come across a registered 2009 GXL Prado (KDJ150R - diesel 3L) 104,000 km with oil catch can, second fuel filter, iron man winch, dual batteries with Redarc BCDC1225D, full bash plates, roof rack and wok sized spotties on solid as bullbar, 2.5" lift. Looks in great nick, bash plates have few scratches but not bent and mashed.
BUT, the drama starts with the fact it's a repairable write off due to passenger rear accident with PPSR stating;
Impact | Passenger rear | heavy panel
Impact | passenger side | heavy panel
Impact | C pillar passenger | heavy structural
Impact | airbag curtain | unrepairable

Vehicle currently registered which Toyota among others tells me means airbag curtain has been repaired and structural integrity checked as part of engineer inspection needed before going over the pits. I've seen the paperwork for the repair parts, with the airbag curtain module bought from a wreckers for a meager $150 compared to genuine new $1400. Airbag light on dash does not come on.
Looking at the repair on the vehicle, sure you can see the rear passenger panel looks a little whiter than the rest, but still very straight, underneath looks great, no chassis issue, rust or anything obviously untoward. In fact hard to see any signs of accident damage

Id really appreciate some thoughts on this type of vehicle in terms of purchase at $28K, and especially as it is/was a repairable write off..... i did make an offer of $24K, but dude says no less than $28K which for a accident vehicle is way too much o fear, even with all the fruit.
I did check if RAC would insure vehicle, yes they would even after disclosing NEVDIS report, at market value (Glass' guide) of $24,800

thanks

If the repairs have been done right then there's no reason to shy away, but for a accident vehicle you should be looking at a discounted price compared to similar year vehicles. Also think about re-sale and the potential to struggle to sell.

Make sure it tracks straight, tyres are wearing well ect. If I was to buy an accident repair car, I'd want to buy it at a deal knowing I had some cash left over on any potential problems down the road.

I know its not the same vehicle but I bought an xr6 Turbo that had been a repairable write off (rear quarter hit) without my knowledge. I few people commented about the offset of the diff and the paint started peeling badly after a couple of years then the top end didn't like piston 6 and gave it to the road via the sump . Obviously not repaired correctly. If I had known it had been written off I would not have bought it or would have negotiated well under current resale.

In my opinion don't give the seller what they want , leave your offer stand and they may come back to you once they realise they aren't going to sell it for that price and meet you in the middle somewhere.

Would also add that a 150 doesn't have a lot of room really for touring if thats what you plan to do , I have 2 kids also and its a squeeze with all the gear plus roof rack loaded.

All that fruit is mighty tempting though!

Thanks Gasmanjc

Ive move don from this vehicle, just didn't sit right with too much unknown, a gamble that may or may not pay off is not what i want in the McDonnell ranges with a 8 and 3 yo......

Back