Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement manifold/exhaust options for VZJ95 with 3.4V6 (5VZ-FE)

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hi all, hope you're all having a good New Year. :thumbup:

For my truck it was good news - it passed the MoT with only a few advisories regarding some minor rust on the sills, which has been there for a few years now and I may look into welding up this Summer.

However my main issue (and one that the MoT man isn't bothered about), is that the front "Y" exhaust section - in front of the cat, has rotted and is blowing - been getting worse over the last few years. I'd like to replace it but not really sure what my options are.... I already have a cat-back stainless system that was fitted over 10 years ago which still seems to be fine.

Looking on eBay, I saw this :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headers-...-VZJ95-95-Series-V6-3-4L-5VZ-FE-/253314685261

I don't even want to ask how much Mr Toyota would want for an OEM replacement, so all the aftermarket options seem to be from Oz and work out at around £400 shipped. I have no idea about quality etc. My main concern is if there are issues during fitting, then I'm stuffed. :icon-rolleyes:

Not sure how viable it would be to remove the current manifolds and weld them up? Is that even an option? :think:

The truck has done 185k miles and runs well enough - but given its age and mileage, I have thought about just bandaging up the front section and living with it.

However when it come to repairs and stuff, whilst I'll probably never reach the standards of Bob Murphy/Chris/Ben and others on here, I do like to try and do things properly whenever possible. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
For that price and assuming the headers are still good i'd go back to my stainless man asking what he can do for how much .

AE57AB34-A753-4EE8-BB93-F58E40133F24.jpeg
The Australian part looks nothing like mine.

This is what I have after the main manifolds.

7ADEF523-1822-4ECE-A6FB-5E4EC5E1D713.jpeg

Maybe not relevant, but my flexi section rusted through and I had a £10 stainless replacement welded in to the cat section.

Where did you get your cat back stainless steel system from? Might need one soon.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the detailed responses MODVRS - much appreciated. The Oz ones do seem to differ quite a bit and even the "correct" ones say that they will need to be cut and modded to fit, especially around the driver's side. I think that option is just too much of a lottery.

My cat-back system was from "Topgear Performance Ltd" in St Albans - they were the local agents for Powerflow at the time. I just rooted out the receipt from the service history and it was made and fitted back in 2006, so actually 13 years ago - how time flies!

Looking at their current website, they seem to have moved location and also changed ownership/management but still seem to be in the exhaust business, so might give them a call in the week.

Didnt they used to be down london road? Google says theyve moved next to mr T in park street, didnt know they were in there, got my alloys on the beemer done in that estate as its next door to work.

The 5VZ-FE is an (revolutionary) evolution of the 3VZE I have in my 4Runner, and is something I sort of keep an eye on...

Based on that there are couple of things:
  1. The exhausts such as in the eBay link are headers/extractors, rather than the stock manifold.
  2. This means that they are a slightly different routing than the stock system
  3. And that means getting rid of the stupid cross over pipe that Toyota fit at the back of the engine on these engines.
All of which can be good... apart from #2... this can make fitting a nightmare if they're anything like my 4Runner was.

The guys I use are this mob in Sydney https://bestmufflers.com/bshop/index.php?controller=search&page=2&s=Prado and they have a few options for the VZJ95 listed.

If you do go for headers, you may need to get new exhaust gaskets or drastically modify the existing ones to suit... I found issues with the bar that runs between each primary on my 4Runner.

On most of the headers, there needs to be a flange welded to attach it to the existing/new cat back section, so the cut and weld isn't that bad...

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

That's right Nick - the address on my invoice is 152 London Road, St Albans. Now they've moved to Frogmore, which is actually better for me.

Thanks Ed - I was reading up on various (Ozzy) reviews and quite a few of the owners seems to have had a hard time getting some of these replacements to fit. As you say, there will be some modification/adjustments needed but there doesn't seem to be a standard, so can be a bit hit and miss.

I might just take it to the local guys and get an opinion and price and take it from there......will keep this thread updated. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to add; on my4Runner the headers are worth about a gear on some of the ranges around here.

Well, I went round to the Powerflow franchise in Park St - they quoted me £750 for the "Y" section between the manifolds and the cat! :shock: - I think I'll put up with the noise a little bit longer. (Using what my wife likes to call man logic - I might upgrade the stereo with some of the money I've "saved" to compensate! :icon-wink:)

The "Y" section on mine is welded to the cat, so if the £750 includes a new cat that is quite cheap as the best price I got was £1200 for that part from the local Toyota dealer with a 25% discount (Amayama worked out dearer).

I might be worth finding a good welder; it's amazing what they can do with what's already there assuming the cat still works and the whole thing hasn't just disintegrated.

The £750 was from the manifolds up to the cat, so just the "Y" section. I'm sure the price would be higher if it also included the cat.

The cat itself seems to be.working ok, the truck always passes the emissions test at MOT time with flying colours. (Though that may be more to do with LPG than the cat??)

As you say, it might be worth looking for a local welder.....I need.to get the rear sills looked at this year, so would be good to find someone.

Sorry, forgot to ask - do you think £750 just for the Y section in stainless is a good/reasonable price??

Back