Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Repsol oil specification change.

Yep 80 is upside as well! IMO not the best of designs but hey it seems to have worked for donkeys years, most modern cars the oil filter is at the top of the engine now, that too drains if the seals are not replaced when the filter is changed.

regards

Dave

Its the zinc in the magnatec oil that cling to the engine parts , most high quality synthetic oils have added zinc for that purpose .

Not so sure about that.

Zinc was found by Castrol who put it in mineral oils many many years ago. Eventually it worked it's way into more modern synthetic oils albeit in a lower concentrate, then the newer synthetic oils were being used by people with older style engines thinking it was the dogs dangly bits and then found they had accelerated wear.

So phosphorus was added to redress the balance but that can cause sludge. Zinc is good for the engine but not now it is in reduced quantities in synthetics, this is something I read up on last year sometime when this came up about sulphur being reduced in diesel oil.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
This may have been the article I read a couple of years ago, but I am getting old now. :)

Or it might have been this one as it talks about phosphorus as well? There is a paragraph that actually states there is increased 'dry start wear' on older engines as there is less zinc in a modern oils.

If and I mean 'if' the statement is true, then draining the engine oil after an all night standing is actually detrimental to an older engine.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
The debate about what oil to use will go on for as long as theres IC motors, which won't be much longer.

So I think I will use EDF 240v in my frist EV, although there seems to be some debate brewing as to weather SSE or nPower might be a better option, as they will be using the yet unproven 241ve, personly I think just like the old oil debate, when folk used to say oil is oil it all comes from one big tank then sellers just put their own branding on the tin, electricity all comes from the same generator then suppliers slap their own branding on that plug. I don't thik 110v will be in the running for cars, it might be good for lorries and buses and the like, as it will give more low down grunt, just like the old diesel used to do. or 3 phase with a cold start kit.

Of course, then there will be the debate as to what type of elec to use. Is solar, nuclear, wave, wind ect, best for you batteries.

Then there will be the battery argument, I foresee Duracell being the first choice for Hot Rod EV's, Panasonic will probably be preferred by the luxury car makers, then maybe LG or Sansung for your everday car, Australia will be the new Middle East as Aus have got the most Lithium reserves, for now, then what happens wheh oil oops I ment Lithium runs out, what will the likes of Elon Musk Rat come up with then, antigravity cars.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system. ...:-J

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My brother in law worked as a oil tech for Total for years before he retired, his take on it is that you are wasting you money putting synthetic in an old engine. Much better to put the Manufacturers recommended oil in and change often. This should open another can of worms lol

My brother in law worked as a oil tech for Total for years before he retired, his take on it is that you are wasting you money putting synthetic in an old engine. Much better to put the Manufacturers recommended oil in and change often. This should open another can of worms lol
:text-goodpost:

Purely by coincidence I have put in the Total 7000 offering 10/40 synthetic blend. First impressions are it is a little heavier when hot, or perhaps holds it's viscosity better? So I have pulled back 3 or 4 psi? The warning not so active in the last couple of days but I am really struggling to find a quality brand all mineral, so the dyno oil appears to be gone? To prevent premature warnings of low oil pressure I need to sit and go through the spares shop pressure switches and find one with the right thread and a lower setting perhaps 15 psi?

Keep you guys posted, just watch those labels!

regards

Dave

Back