Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoration body shop repair

Wasn't the easiest job as the JDM import version had a metal brace internally holding the rear wheel carrier plate. Had to cut a lot out to get a level base and after two grinding blades made process to clean and lay the new carpet down with spray.

IMG_7333.jpg IMG_7334.jpg IMG_7335.jpg

Oh, very nice Dervis, makes me wish I had a tailgate :lol:

They look nice and solid Dervis - much nicer that the plastic ones!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys decided recently to extend the exhaust from the side to the rear tomorrow being booked in. Gonna be 3 inch stainless steel as before.

Reasons being not liking the exhaust blowing on the rear drivers side tyre making it darken,
not convenient having it blow at your feet whilst opening and closing the door,
Also the MOT here will fail it so I hear next year so gonna set it back to where it naturally belongs.

0-02-05-fd2c0405df6d66d32c9ad345cdcb758017fbfb058f9c547dc4d97f97d4032e13_1c6d95aad33199.jpg

Guys decided recently to extend the exhaust from the side to the rear tomorrow being booked in. Gonna be 3 inch stainless steel as before.

Reasons being not liking the exhaust blowing on the rear drivers side tyre making it darken,
not convenient having it blow at your feet whilst opening and closing the door,
Also the MOT here will fail it so I hear next year so gonna set it back to where it naturally belongs.

View attachment 150310

Try to make sure they get it over the rear chassis member without squashing the thing flat Dervis.

If they want/need to flatten it then ask them to make up a larger cross-section pipe in that part so that the flattening won’t cause a restriction. :thumbup:

Try to make sure they get it over the rear chassis member without squashing the thing flat Dervis.

If they want/need to flatten it then ask them to make up a larger cross-section pipe in that part so that the flattening won’t cause a restriction. :thumbup:

They would never do what Toyota did there Clive all 3 inch pipes considering there's space for it. Thanks

They would never do what Toyota did there Clive all 3 inch pipes considering there's space for it. Thanks

Morning guys at the exhaust shop and allready facing some issues.

Clive I may have bitten my tongue with my last message lol

Firstly having made the sub tank many years ago when the original 2.25in Toyota exhaust was on was ok. Now trying to use the same space for a 3in is not viable!!

Secondly I fitted a cut off tap on the sub tank for servicing requirements and now realize it’s in the worst place. So now gotta cut that off and reposition at a later stage.

Thirdly the classic Toyota failure of leaving so little room for the in famous kink on the original exhaust is at this point gonna cause an issue with anything larger than stock size.

So in light of these issues solutions and comprises are gonna have to made.

Firstly gonna continue possibly with 3in rerouting from the side to the middle section with the double mufflers.

Secondly a compromise of 2.7in 70mm or even 2.5in 24.6mm will have to be made for the rest.

Thirdly the axle issue the workshop says what ever size it chosen they will narror it over that narrow space without hopefully comprising the size.

Either way I know he guys are gonna do the best as always that I’m grateful for.

A59C554E-4B2B-4CC0-9E73-75FA20392F3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Shame.

Sub-tank issues aside, the narrow space available over the axle gives you about 25mm clearnce so my idea was to get them to make up a short section of mabe 5” pipe and when that’s flattened to 20mm, you’ll still get a cross section area similar to a 3” pipe, and thus no restriction on flow.

Shame.

Sub-tank issues aside, the narrow space available over the axle gives you about 25mm clearnce so my idea was to get them to make up a short section of mabe 5” pipe and when that’s flattened to 20mm, you’ll still get a cross section area similar to a 3” pipe, and thus no restriction on flow.

Yeah Clive there gonna do something once we get there. It’s not just about clearance, it’s also having enough room so that the stainless can expand to avoiding touching causing vibrations aside.

It’s all custom technicals working one section piece at a time.

Thanks

449198AE-E5A0-46DB-980F-B6A75479BE52.jpeg

How did it end up Dervis - are you pleased with the result?

How did it end up Dervis - are you pleased with the result?

Took the whole day and finished close to 9pm that day Geoff. So thankful for the owner to have worked extra hard and long to complete this two day job into one for me.

Yes im please with the final result. Sounds the same just at the rear now. Drive wise feels better and back to normality now with the exhaust in its designated place.

I didn't have the time to finish up the write up as I need to put it back a lift to take the remaining pictures.

Only comprise was that had to go with 2.5in over the back axle to the rear exit and tbh I haven't noticed any loss in power for it so that's a plus.

Alternatively did find out that the vehicle wouldn't of passed its MOT so thats been taken care of now.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back