Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restore or Sell?/Recommended Land Cruiser Garage in Scotland

Jamsy

Country Flag
scotland
Hi folks,
Had a few issues with the Amazon this last year or so.
It tried to start itself a couple of times when it was sat on the driveway (locked up with no keys in it, burnt out the starter), fixed now but the Mrs has lost confidence in it.

Its the family daily driver, my Mrs uses it, its great for taking the kids around with all their stuff. She really likes it but has lost confidence in it. Trying to decide is it worth restoring and keeping or should we sell and get something a bit newer (would probably have to downgrade/downsize as we couldn't afford a 200 series.

Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
I'm having the same thoughts. My 20-year-old '100' is rotting away faster than I can fix it, yet I keep on working (and spending) on it in the hope of keeping it alive for a few more years.

These things become serious money-pits and mine is a 'hobby job' as its not the daily driver. I do hate borrowing trucks from neighbours in order to fetch (e.g.) a couple of tons of top soil in my trailer, though.

Its all about economics. I'm on a pension and can't contemplate buying a much newer large 4x4. I can keep working on it a bit at a time though (along with all the other projects).

We need reliable 'daily' cars and have a couple of diesel Fords for the purpose (or would have if No. 1 daughter hadn't dumped her RAV4 on me again and run off with the Focus Estate :doh:).

I got to the same position as you many years ago with a Volvo 240 Estate. I'd had it for 16 years, it was used daily but was becoming unreliable - I sold it and went for a new Focus Estate. You won't have any peace of mind if it keeps failing and your wife & kids are out there in it.

Maybe get something smaller, newer and cheaper for daily use and then concentrate on fixing the '100'??

That's how you end-up (like me) with five cars in the yard (three on SORN) :lol: .

Bob.

Personally I would focus on sorting out the electrics and then look at the rest separately... if nothing else, having the electrical issues resolved will make the truck easier to sell, if you do decide to get rid of it.

We had a rash of electrical issues with the 80 series when we first had it, mostly related to an aftermarket alarm system, but it was a massive PITA. A good local auto-electrical place resolved the initial issues for us, I rebuilt the starter (per the guide on this site - its easy enough) and we've subsequently had a couple of minor issues resolved again by the auto-electrical guys. The key is finding a company near you that you trust and is willing to sort out "old fashioned" wiring issues. I suspect once the electrics are sorted, then your missus will start to trust it again, and you can make a more measures decision on whether to sell or keep it.

Just my 2p.... good luck!

When I find myself in your predicament I try to think of my 100 not as a car but a valuable piece of real estate.

I have had a year of unforeseen workshop bills and face the same issues with bumpers and lower body repairs, but I just can't imagine another vehicle within my budget that can offer the same space, comfort and power. We as a family spend an extraordinary proportion of our spare time in and around that vehicle. 90% of the time I'm sure a Kia Carnival would do the job, but I don't think we would pile into it on a Saturday morning with the same level of enthusiasm.

Find a good garage and keep it going for as long as you can.

Back