Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ridiculous idea.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Called out yesterday to sort an electric engine cooling fan not working, nothing unusual about that but it was a vehicle repair workshop that needed help!

Their own Peugeot van had been hit by a tree that pulled out in front of him....the drivers excuse, heavy front end damage, bonnet, both wings, slam panel both radiator and condenser and so on, they had rebuilt it but the new cooling fan was not working.

They come to the conclusion that the fan which was damaged in the accident had blown the fuse, nope the fan fuse was intact and there was a power supply to the fan relay. I spent awhile chasing a power supply that was there when the fan was off, but disapeared when the fan was called on to cool the engine. During testing the fan fuse supply and fuse remained live without a flicker. With no wiring diagram available I started unwinding loom tape checking for the supply that would come and go. I came to a heavy plug under the headlamp, ah...a simple case of not plugged in properly........not!

The plug was fine and the search was continued, the loom to the fuse box run under the splash shield inside the inner wing and into the fuse box however, the fan cable had disapeared and and had split off somewhere else? Further tracking found it entering the fuse box from a different direction, this made no sense whatsoever. I decided to pull the fuse box apart and Eureka!

Get this, there is another fan fuse UNDER the fuse tray that holds the fuses in the box! That's right, you have to pry out the normal fuse board to get to a fuse plugged in upside down on the other side.......WTF? The 'user friendly' marked fan in the top of the box is for fan relay control...not the actual fan itself. The hidden fuse had not blown completely, no load and there was supply, add load and it simply parted, only to reconnect when cool, rare but does happen.

Hiding a fuse like this is another trick being used by manufacturers to get you to return to the dealer workshop for an apparent wiring or fan issue and not a simple fuse, so now you know.

Regards

Dave

Can’t deny that it’s a ridiculous idea Dave, do you think it’s deliberate, or just penny-pinching knowing they need another fuse, but to save the cost of a larger fuse-box?

Cars and PC platforms are following a similar modus operandi I think, instead of correcting the system, it’s cheaper and quicker to put a patch on the existing set up, and nobody will notice.

almost as bad as the maxi fuses bolted into the fusebox on the 90 series, they can only be released by removing the whole fuse box!

Get it all the time at the side of the road, Renault ones are almost impossible to get to, that’s progress and technology for you!

I’ve heard this on other vehicles as well.
Isn’t it a Peugeot you have to dismantle the front of the car to change a headlight bulb?
Renault have always been shit to work on!

Bloody stupid! My Fart Scudo headlight bulbs are a complete pain in the bum to change - you need a make up mirror and some double joints to change them.....Still it goes tomorrow and I get my new Van....Transit Custom :) my 1st ever tranny........well apart from the connect but that doesnt count :)....and its got LED lights :)
:auto-layrubber:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@clivehorridge no penny pinching Clive, plenty of space in the top around other fuses.

@moggy1968 Renault needs a trolley jack, remove front wheel to get to hole in inner wing, still difficult to get bulb out and replace, a bit like a gynacologist trying to wallpaper the hallway through his letter box. Some models you need to remove the bumper to get the headlight out, or risk breaking one or more of the plastic supports.

I am guessing that as cars are fairly reliable these days many dealerships have mechanics walking around with their hands in their pockets. Given that many companies are now sharing a workshop and its staff this adds credence to my thinking, nowadays a simple fault can be made hard work for the owner to sort, in effect forcing them back to the dealer.

It is all very very wrong!

Regards

Dave

I’ve heard this on other vehicles as well.
Isn’t it a Peugeot you have to dismantle the front of the car to change a headlight bulb?
Renault have always been shit to work on!
I was quoted £145.00 by the main dealer to change a front headlight bulb on my Peugeot 508....

I was quoted £145.00 by the main dealer to change a front headlight bulb on my Peugeot 508....

Try the price for one of the latest Kia's, well over £200.00, of course this part is not covered by the seven year warranty!

ITS A BULB FFS! :angry-screaming:

Regards

Dave

I have heard of one of the high end Audi's, forget which one, that has a workshop time of 4.5 hours to replace a HID headlamp bulb as the wing and bumper have to come off to facilitate removal of the headlamp to change the bulb and/or ballast, I do not recall the parts costs.

pmmonline.co.uk/article/access-all-areas/

Interesting article about how the OBD connector we use to fix ever more technical faults is going to be reduced to just engine and emission data access.

pmmonline.co.uk/article/access-all-areas/

Interesting article about how the OBD connector we use to fix ever more technical faults is going to be reduced to just engine and emission data access.

There has been a slow and steady move in this direction for many years. I have fairly comprehensive OBD software, and find there are more and more areas I cannot access as time goes by, again another move to force owners back to the dealers, or I have to pay very expensive bills for software updates, and many of these still have 'manufacturer only' areas.

I was going to say my work will be reduced to changing brake pads but alas, some vehicles now need software to retract the brake pistons!

Regards

Dave

However, if you are a mechanic and your income to run your vehicle comes from repairing other people's vehicles, things become a bit tricky!

However, if you are a mechanic and your income to run your vehicle comes from repairing other people's vehicles, things become a bit tricky!

I reckon I will just scrape through to retirement before I have to hang up the spanners........and I mean just.

Regards

Dave

I was going to say my work will be reduced to changing brake pads but alas, some vehicles now need software to retract the brake pistons!

Regards

Dave

WTF! What a ridiculous and sad state of affairs. With the increasing complication and “lockdown” of vehicle diagnostics and maintenance, plus the ongoing incentives (threats) from the powers that be to try and make people scrap their old vehicles and buy new, I fear the days of the small private garages and repair shops are numbered. Not a case of ‘if’ but ‘when’.

WTF! What a ridiculous and sad state of affairs. With the increasing complication and “lockdown” of vehicle diagnostics and maintenance, plus the ongoing incentives (threats) from the powers that be to try and make people scrap their old vehicles and buy new, I fear the days of the small private garages and repair shops are numbered. Not a case of ‘if’ but ‘when’.

100% correct TP

Regards

Dave

Already happening in Agriculture - John Deere are prime culprits for this in the USA and Australia, and in Aus the farmers aren't happy as there isn't always a dealer round the corner...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...s-in-the-us-fight-for-right-to-repair/9470658
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-03-11/farmers-spearhead-right-to-repair-fight/9535730

However, Aus farmers are notoriously inventive when it comes to fixing problems...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-10-26/lake-king-tractor-museum-shows-farmer-ingenuity/9081872

Already happening in Agriculture - John Deere are prime culprits for this in the USA and Australia, and in Aus the farmers aren't happy as there isn't always a dealer round the corner...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...s-in-the-us-fight-for-right-to-repair/9470658
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-03-11/farmers-spearhead-right-to-repair-fight/9535730

However, Aus farmers are notoriously inventive when it comes to fixing problems...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-10-26/lake-king-tractor-museum-shows-farmer-ingenuity/9081872
Oh there’ll be all sorts of reasons why that’s not possible these days. Elfin Safety, environmental considerations, inability to gain insurance, compliance with this, compliance with that. Rightful place in a museum that sort of subversive stuff. No no can’t have ingenuity or creativity. Hell, how would the poor manufacturers make any money…

Me? Cynical?

Back