Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Right waste of a morning! Thanks Mr T

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I have been plagued for a while with some form of whining noise coming from underneath, mostly audible at higher speeds, say over 50 mph. You can play a tune with the accelerator pedal on and off the power. Originally I thought it was the front diff. JW rebuilt that for me and the noise never changed. This was on the white truck. When I got the silver one and transplanted the auto transmission from the white one into it, the noise came with it!

This weekend I decided to have a play with my spare transfer box. I had already had the ear extension housing off the one on the truck and replaced the output seal. The bearing seemed fine in there. So just to see what might be going on the front extension housing, I pulled that off and had a fiddle. Much simple than the rear one I must say. And nice to see how the centre diff lock works in practice. The spare one seemed sound in fact. So I figured that I'd pull the current one and if nothing else swap them over.

OK Gav plate off, drop cross member - fine so far, remove 5 of the housing bolts, easy peasy. Uh? The last one was buried. It took me nearly an hour to get that one out using a combination of just about every trick in the book and an Irwin bolt remover. Not because it was stuck, but simply as no other socket combination would go on in that space.

Great, cracked the seal, wiggled the housing free, caught the oil and ..

WHAT?????? The housing will not come off past the auto box. Nope, not a chance. You can wiggle and jiggle all you like, but the case will not come past the lug that sits over the companion flange. On a manual it may well be different but on the auto it looks like the transfer has to be split off completely. Oh trust me I tried.

What a mental design Mr T San. No way to change a seal or bearing without a full disassembly? Absolutely nuts. And for the sake of maybe as little as 10 mm. I even put the CD into lock to shorten the fork slider inside. The teeth on the splines were even free. How maddening is that?
Oh well, got some other jobs done off the list I suppose.

Rear bumper tomorrow. If it's dry.

Very cross Chris

Thats bloody annoying when little things like that can lead to a huge strip down job :twisted:

Would that be different with the A750F box? It seems to be narrower.

How much work is it to just separate the the two? (X-fer & gearbox) 1/2 hour?

Back