Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rims?

AboutAfrica

Country Flag
namibia
Hi Guy's

Question, I have the standard steelies fitted with 35" tyres. I think the original rims are 8j? As the tyres seem a bit "pinched" I would like to go wider but would prefer to keep the steelies as if you bend them or so you can sort it with a hammer. I have the option to have them widened at a engineering shop, but somehow I dont quite trust the story, we drive hard and are often loaded for overland trips. Has anybody had their standard steel wheels widened?

I can get 10j rims but they are mags, I cant seem to find any 9/10j steelies anywhere.

So in the UK this is called banding. Which isn't legal on the road. However lots used to do it back in the day.

I would happy to have them if I knew they had been welded by me or someone I trusted my life to. With the quality of the welding I have seen if Africa id see what other options there are

Would be done by a german guy who has a engineering place, his work is tops. But...as you say, it's a major safety factor. If that rims hits a rock or a hole at 120km/h loaded on a gravel road it's a problem. ok, I just answered my own question there I think...

Back