Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rough idle with tapping noise ?

Indie

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys, I drove my 2001 LC with the 1HDFTE 4.2 diesel (140k miles) for about 30 miles this morning, switched her off for about 30 minutes all was fine as usual. When i re started her it was running really lumpy and rough with a tapping noise which wasn't at engine speed that would come and go.. so i popped the bonnet and it sounded like an old worn out diesel !! there seemed to be a pulsing action in the fuel one from the filter to the injector pump.. oil pressure and water temp normal with no warning lights i headed for home after about a mile i had to give her some throttle to climb a slight hill and the problem cleared and has been fine since. So a bit of a head scratcher ? Is there a solenoid in the fuel circuit that could be causing the tapping noise if it were faulty ? any ideas guys ??

Hi,

Any smoke? any recurrence? My 2004 has a catalytic converter, wonder if it could have anything to do with that if your 2001 has one.

Just a thought.

Hi thanks for your interest, mine hasn't got a CAT and no smoke and it hasn't happened again. There are 2 wires that go to the bottom of the fuel filter for the dash warning light and another 2 between the inner wing and the top of the filter that are connected to what looks like some kind of valve on the filter housing ! have you any idea what it is or does ?

Thanks again

If its a Plastic tap type thing... Its for moisture/water drain. if its the one at the bottom of the filter housing

Can't help you with the original head scratcher, but the wires to the bottom of the filter are for the "water in filter" warning lamp in your instrument panel, and the wires at the top are for a heater element to prevent/melt solid particles in the fuel at freezing temperatures (diesel waxing).

Thanks for your input gents, i will have to wait until it happens again and see if i can find where the tapping noise is coming from, maybe a solenoid ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good Morning, so the problem reappeared yesterday but this time no tapping ! I've recently fitted a new fuel tank and all the associated hoses and filler assembly on the tank including a new pick up filter and main filter but not the steel fuel pipes that appear in good condition. I guess its done about 1000 miles faultlessly but yesterday i turned her off for a few hours and when i started her again it was running with a rough idle and lumpy when revved but no smoke. I took her up the road using about 2k revs for 1/2 mile and pulled over and she is running perfectly again. Ive previously (but after the first time this happened) disabled the EGR and fitted a catch can provent 200 cleaned the inlet manifold and ports in the head and removed the intake heater screen all new genuine parts have been used, no engine light and no codes are present. The LC has done 150k miles and I'm thinking about getting new injectors but fail to see they are the problem.Any ideas will be appreciated?

Back