Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rough running

8E9F324C-6333-404B-A6D2-A8D29ADC0C57.jpeg

I had the boss put that on her ipad and zoom full screen to draw that red line and even if its not a bent allen key its a hex shape rod that i can't possibly imagine should be inside the engine at all ?

You're saying a trick of the camera. I've taken the larger parts out of the oil and cleaned them. No hex shaped rods. The hook shaped piece is 0.7×1.2mm on cross section fwiw.
IMG_20220320_152529.jpg
IMG_20220320_152626.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I enlarged it, I was only seeing a right angled hexagon piece amongst the debri, as said, PART of an Allen key.
Your enlarged pic still show that hexagon shape, but the hooked end now exposed is smooth.
Maybe where it got mangled. Just a guess from the shape.
As Shayne says, it doesnt look like anything that should be in there.

How big is the not allen key because the turbo has its own oil feed so i guess its possible the turbine disintegrated and made its way to the sump directly rather than via the intake ???

It's about 5-6mm long and about 1mm in cross section.

I guess it's worth pulling the sump off as much as I can and maybe getting the intake off the turbo at least to have a look at that.

1647806202611.png

Trying to remember and i'm pretty sure i could slip one of those gaskets over my index finger like a ring :think: trying to tie the turbine disintegrating with your original symptoms is difficult but with a leap of faith i can imagine the ecu sensing your on boost so adding more fuel while the turbo was failing to compress air to match = flooding and misfiring ?

If thats the case it should sound fine ticking over

It sounded like a bag of nails even on tick over so unlikely to be that. I wasn't giving it any beans when it died in any event.

Did the engine oil have a silvery 'sheen' - as in very fine particles of white metal in suspension??

That is a strange object, I wonder if a crankshaft thrust spacer has broken up. Dropping the sump is probably the best next step.

Interesting . . . Keep the pictures coming.

Bob.

No sheen on the oil - it looked normal and I thought I might have gotten away with it until I got to the bottom of the drain pan and found that lot. Most of the swarf is non-magnetic, however that curved piece is magnetic. Very odd.

@Shayne is that engine likely to be good though? Also it's from a different vehicle, do they all just fit? I guess I can use parts from the current one if needed, like the sump etc, just need the block and the like.

Won't be much different and anything that is should be interchangable with your own engine . I'd expect a Granvia to have an easier life than a cruiser but we all know longetivity is down to maintenance history which is anyone's guess . I bet Toyota charge more than the price of the whole engine just for a new turbo .

Aluminium is not magnetic and the turbo's core is aluminium i think .

The suddenness of it all makes me think the not allen key somehow got sucked into the intake and trashed your turbo and by the sounds of things the debris got into a cylinder .

Bump up on this after some hiatus. It's in for an engine rebuild currently - turbo was siezed solid so that may be a culprit on the other damage.

Back