Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rules and regulations regarding mods/rebuilds?

OddSverre

Country Flag
norway
Hi. I'm doing som research about rules and regulations around modifications and rebuilding of road leagal cars.
Specially within the EU-countries.
I live in Norway and the rules and regulations are a real pia, and it's abt time they change.
But to do that the right governmental institutions and people needs to be adressed and informed.
So, thats why I am asking. How are the rules and regulations in other European countries around things like Raising suspension, increasing tire sizes, front mounted winches, steel front- and rear bumpers like ARB and such.

Hi. I'm doing som research about rules and regulations around modifications and rebuilding of road leagal cars.
Specially within the EU-countries.
I live in Norway and the rules and regulations are a real pia, and it's abt time they change.
But to do that the right governmental institutions and people needs to be adressed and informed.
So, thats why I am asking. How are the rules and regulations in other European countries around things like Raising suspension, increasing tire sizes, front mounted winches, steel front- and rear bumpers like ARB and such.

Here in Romania, you rule of thumb is that you cannot change anything from the manufacturers specifications, especially regarding (but not limited to) the following:

Wheel and tyre sizes as stated on the registration document;
Suspension height;
Track width;
Length of wheelbase;
Lighting, including the figment of auxiliary lighting;
Engine.

I’ve stopped there for convenience, although the list would probably go on ad infinitude.

Should one wish to change any of the above, the vehicle should go for re-registration and the registration document will be revised as appropriate.

It sounds easy, but each step with the authorities will be a real pain.

For example, on my 80 series Euro Spec HZJ, the tyre size on the Registration document is 215/85/16.

I’m running 305/70/16 and technically they are illegal because they don’t match the Registration document.

To make this legal, I would need a letter from Toyota confirming the suitability of the intended tyre size. I wouldn’t get that because Toyota never fitted 305/70/16 to any of their 80 Series vehicles. I would likely get approval of 265/75/16 because I believe that to be a production vehicle size, but no bigger.

End of story.

Suspension lifts would be an absolute nightmare, so I continue to be illegal, until such time as the Police decide to cancel my registration, which they can do, without recourse.

I’ve got away with it for 12 years so far, and even with official Police accident reports, they’ve not yet suggested cancellation. :pray: :handgestures-finge:

Hi Odd,

Mods aside, what’s the future holding for older diesels in Norway? The official picture seems to be that they can’t seem to get rid of fossil fuels quick enough.

It’s getting crazy, you can’t for example improve your brakes or lighting. They are stopping you making your vehicle more safe!!
It’s very inconsistent across Europe.

Cyprus isn't too bad with only basics like window tinting, wider wheels outside fenders, bull bars are illegal, with spot lights etc, and recently learnt my side exhaust wouldn't pass so to rerouted to the rear now. Other than that emissions is a joke, its more about procedure and a tax. No modern MOT testing with 3 year intervals for non commercial vehicles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s getting crazy, you can’t for example improve your brakes or lighting. They are stopping you making your vehicle more safe!!

I agree.

But they would argue that you can Andy, but you have to have the improvement “engineered” as they say, approved by an authorized body, the RCA as its known here, and without their say-so you have no registration document that relates to the modified vehicle.

They have you by the short and curlies one way or the other...

Hi Odd,

Mods aside, what’s the future holding for older diesels in Norway? The official picture seems to be that they can’t seem to get rid of fossil fuels quick enough.

Well. They try their best. But it's mostly the biggest cities that gets the worst of it. The Green Party seems to forget that Norway is more than downtown Oslo. Except from diesel ban on the most poluted days during winter in the 4 largest cities, there are no restrictions yet (except from the diesel prices rising in absurdum). But we all know that they are only waiting for a chance to tighten the screw even more. That goes for the entire Europe I guess. How it will look in 10 years... who knows.

More or less the same as here. Here it's TÜV-approval that is god almighty.

Same in Belgium. You can do stuff to your truck, but you need toyota approval. But it's doable.
Chopping off the rear of your cabin to convert it to a camper will be an administration nightmare.
Same in Holland as well.
Biggest concern at the moment is the diesel ban in the cities and low emission zones. Future is looking pretty bleak for my 80 and 40.

A non-Euro 1 to 4 ban (petrol and diesel) is promised for Bucharest next year, yet limited to between 08:00 till 20:00 daily.

I could cope with that (although I would have to drive the poxy car to & fro to work instead of the 80) but it’s the thin edge of a monstrous wedge IMO.

I spend the weekends out of the city so there’s no worries there for the time being. But the longer term future is bleak, with most/many (EU) countries aiming at zero ICE powered vehicles as soon as 2030.

Jeez, that could even be in my lifetime, what a depressing thought...

More and more people and politicians are working for a complete detachement from EU and EEC in Norway now. Just hoping it will happen sooner than later.

Back