Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust on boot door.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
I have rust on my tailgate door and keeps coming back.
I have treat it a few times with numerous rust treatments.
The problem is the part of the door it is on holds my numberplate lights.
The metal is very thin and fragile and just keeps rusting away.
It is very awkward to treat as were the rust is you dont get much room to do a proper fix.
I have googled the rear door diagram and parts come off.
Was just wondering if any other members have this problem and if they found a permanent fix.
I have been looking for a replacement door as a plan b option

This is the rust i was talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206_163916_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206_163916_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 37
Literally the only bit of mine that isn't rusty. Although that's where the spare wheel is bolted, so I can't actually see there.

Very thin metal hence the rust comes back fast because its not hard to attack.
Pain in the arse and looks awful and i love my car looking immaculate.

Assuming you have treated it after sanding it back and then tidied up the paint after and you don't want to go the extreme route of cutting it out , I'd try again using Zinga inside and out .

Q: Why won’t Zinga allow rust creepage beneath its coating?

It is because every square millimeter of steel that has been coated has a galvanic charge flowing continually between the zinc and the steel, so there is no possibility of any corrosion reaction to begin underneath a Zinga layer. The high potential difference between the two metals ensures that there is always a strong flow of electrons between them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes i tried to sand from the inside and out.
Cutting it out has crossed my mind but will need some one whi is good at what they do.
My big fear is them doing it wrong and looks a mess.

You have to make a mess to make it good , sanding it back to bare metal and filling is easy but matching paint for a tidy finish isn't .

These guys will make a sticker the size you need to hide whats beneath and when its painted your factory colour it wont actually matter that its not a perfect match .

Back