Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust on the 100

Lucky my chasis is on rust free. Just recently when i went to fix a stucked mirror, i noticed rust on door panel.
Planned for major repaint January to fix all

91BF0522-5D21-42A9-92AE-8EB671F8BF66.jpeg AF071E47-386B-449E-AFC4-D04A748422A4.jpeg 3A6087C8-CFE8-492E-8EDF-F5A8DDEA1C4A.jpeg

Before i bought the present 120 i looked at several different 100's, travelled some 150 miles to see a pristine 'waxoyled' 04 plate V8 running on gas.
Didn't even open the door or bonnet or look inside, simple slipped under the back and stuck me mitt straight through a rear cross member of some sort...oh and the 'waxoyling' consisted of one recent single pass with an aerosol can across the front cross member and the two lower control arms, not behind said member/wishbones you understand, someone simply leaned under the front bumper and gave a single swipe with the can.
Within 5 mins i was back in my W plate 95 which was in better condition on my way home.

That experience put the top hat on me looking and i'd decided to keep the 95, but the present 120 came up on the 'net, and it stood out from all the others and i bought it same morning it went online, again first place i looked was underneath...it seems to surprise people but its the first place to look with any Cruiser/Hilux, if its good underneath its worth looking further, if its not don't waste yours and everyone else's time.

Too much uncared for neglected garbage out there in Cruisers, and i think its the change in type of owners since the models became more mainstream, soft in other words, fashionable even, with more goodies.
Most people who bought a 70/80 series in Britain needed it for a reason or were enthusiasts of the type or simply liked old school reliability/quality, they were hardly fashion buys in ones wildest dreams, maybe those who bought the old models were also more mechanically minded/sympathetic and realised that all vehicles need the salt washing off at times during the season and a good clean up or splash of paint once winter has gone and some general TLC.

Car owners these days don't even check the oil level, what hope some proper preventative long term maintenance?

Got to get my windscreen replaced tomorrow due to the chip in the driver's eyeline being larger than 10mm and MOT being due this month. Most irritating as I have rust along the top of the windscreen in 3 patches and a small bubbling on the driver's side pillar.

I hope the fitter doesn't baulk at it as I would be in a fix to get things sorted in time for the MOT. I wish I had more time (and skill) to fix this myself as I don't want a £500 rust fixing bill!

Back