Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust on Underside of Upper Tailgate Hatch

Allagash19

Country Flag
united_states
Hey Everyone,

For about the past six months, the underside of the upper tailgate hatch on my 2000 LC has been getting very rusty. This is clearly due to the salty roads up in Minnesota. I have many other areas of rust on the vehicle too, but so far this looks to be the worst. Yesterday, I was opening the upper tailgate and the handle (just above the right side of the license plate) came right off. This was the plastic part. The two small, rusted metal arms that hold the handle in place are still there, but they look like they haven't got much time left either. The whole assembly of that handle feels rusty as I move it.
Does anyone have any experience with this specific problem? I've seen many listings for this part online, and if it is easily replaceable then I'll be happy to just order it and do it myself (or bring it to the body shop). But, if there's more to it than that (connecting with the locking mechanism, alarm, etc), then I'll have to reconsider and look at other parts to come up with a price. Although I could definitely benefit from one, I'm hoping I don't need an entire new upper tailgate (if I did, how would I go about getting one and how much would it go for?).

Thanks!

The handle is easily replaceable. You have to pull the trim off the inside and fiddle a bit.

Toyota know the general rust problem with this tailgate so it might be worth taking the car in and complaining even if outside the warranty period. They certainly pay straight away if in warranty.

I have the same problem on my 2002. I used epoxy to re-attach the handle. I pulled the inside moulding off and discovered the water was getting in from the third brake light at the top. I sealed it and the rust seems to have slowed. The local dealer quoted me about $1,100.00 to replace and paint to match. Swapping out the glass looks like the hardest part of the job,as it looks like it is heat sealed.

Frank,
You say Toyota are aware of this rust problem, any experience yourself with their response? they recently denied my claim as there is no hole on the outside bodywork just rust on the inside and edge of the upper tailgate!!

Yes I took mine back to the local dealer and they sent photos of to their warranty department. The claim was immediately authorised and they insisted on replacing the top and bottom tailgates. Bottom tailgate was like new inside and out. I went and had a look at their authorised bodyshop and was so unimpressed I decided to treat the rust myself. The rust itself was not at all bad and there were no holes.

My local dealer also sent pictures to Toyota but there response was:

The area covered under the terms of the 12 antiperferation are the external sheet metalpainted panels. Not the structure behind the panel. The corosion must also come from inside to the outside leaving a hole. Rust from an edge is not perferation.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought at the time I took it in it would not be covered and was very surprised when they agreed to replace. I suppose it might depend on who picks up the job at Toyota or/and their relationship with the dealer. I also took my rear diff lock off as it did not work. It fell to pieces then I realised I had paid 12 months parts warranty. So I went in with the pieces in a box and they gave me a new one which I fitted myself.

I have the same problem on my 2002. I used epoxy to re-attach the handle. I pulled the inside moulding off and discovered the water was getting in from the third brake light at the top. I sealed it and the rust seems to have slowed. The local dealer quoted me about $1,100.00 to replace and paint to match. Swapping out the glass looks like the hardest part of the job,as it looks like it is heat sealed.

Sorry this is off topic, Tim, please PM me your e-mail address and/or phone number! I can't PM you, you don't have enough posts yet!

I just realized that nearly everyone on this thread is from the UK. Does this talk about warrantees, perforation and going to the dealer with complaints apply to me if I'm in the US? I just don't know if the American dealers will necessarily do anything even though it sounds like your dealers may be listening to the rust issues.

What year is your LC? And do you think their willingness to replace it differs by country? I'm in the US, so if it's a UK thing I'm not sure if it's worth trying, especially since mine is a 2000.

Hi all
i recently bout a 2003 yr 2004 model Amazon 100
i have noticed that the bottom of the upper tail gate is showing signs of rust
what is causing this problem ??
do you really think Toyota uk would carry out a paint job at their expense ??
are there any other areas I should be looking at for rust ?????

Back