Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Say hello to Khubu Stockton ....

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
So - after two mad trips to Belfast and pile of my hard-earned cash, we have a new member of our family, born 1 year to the day after we lost our last Rhodesian Ridgeback ... Karma at work or what - so say hello to Khubu :D

e20957d1.jpg

9 weeks old and already is chasing the flowers - and he's only been with us one night (got back at 2:45 this morning :? )

5c45fc38.jpg

Very cute. You still got the mudflaps on the 120? How chewy are those STTs? :lol:

will he be coming to Lincomb? Congrats, Ridgebacks are such great dogs (well apart from the fear of water thing...)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice mutt :twisted: I love Ridgebacks, wish I had the space for one :cry:

Rob said:
Congrats, Ridgebacks are such great dogs (well apart from the fear of water thing...)

Yep - funny, Shumba was not over-fond of water - hated the sea, and not too happy in rivers, but I've seen quite a lot who have no problem ... training I guess - didn't help that I chucked him in the swimming pool :twisted:

This guy we'll do it differently (no pool in the garden, for one :( )

Enjoying the sun... and the daffs :D

e87391c8.jpg

and he's got a number of chew-toys so far - including this one:

ccd85cd1.jpg

and even if he went for the mud-flaps, they'd be not much worse off than they are currently!!

You'll be able to tell from my question that I'm not really into dogs but is that like a South African version of a Labradore Retriever?

Its more of a Rhodesian version of a foxhound but used for hunting / tracking lions. they have a very good temperament which makes them very desirable family pets

Rob said:
used for hunting / tracking lions.
That's how we do it in Africa. Non of this cushy foxie foxie stuff. :twisted:

Jon Wildsmith said:
You'll be able to tell from my question that I'm not really into dogs but is that like a South African version of a Labradore Retriever?
LMFAO!!!

I have no idea either Gaz but all the same, that's a lovely looking pooch :)

My kids are driving me nuts for a dog/pet at the mo but as there's already six of us which takes a reasonably sized thermonuclear strike to get us moving, adding in a pooch would spell disaster... It doesn't help that all the neighbours are getting pooches either :| Mind you, Niall & Kaths Boxer (Ellie) is a bloomin' tempting argument...

Ah so...

Big dogs with big appetites :twisted: My folks have one and its a large specimen - weighs around 60-70kgs.
They're strong, athletic dogs - exercising them will help you train for your peak climbs, Gav :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new family member, Gary - he doesn't know how lucky he is to arrive at this time of year! Ridgebacks are not big fans of the cold in my experience - maybe the Scottish ones are tougher than their cousins back home. :cool:

Cheers,

not big fan of the cold?!?! my parents ridgeback loves snow! he even goes skiing with us :roll:

they dont have to be butch, my parents is about 55kg and quite slim, i guess it depends on how much you feed them and what type of exercise you give them

A friend of mine in SA had two of Andrew's version. One night they started going mad, lots of barking and snarling. He ignored it for about half an hour. Eventually got up to see what was happening.
There was a cat on the carport roof, they had jumped on the bonnet of his audi (parked next to said carport), then onto the roof. They were using the roof as a spring-board to try get at the cat who was safely out of the way observing.

The roof lining in his car had been dislodged, roof caved in. Not a happy person :shock:

Rob said:
not big fan of the cold?!?! my parents ridgeback loves snow! he even goes skiing with us :roll:

they dont have to be butch, my parents is about 55kg and quite slim, i guess it depends on how much you feed them and what type of exercise you give them
:lol: My parents' one is a bit of a wuss about the cold. Also not very bright :roll:

They shouldn't be too butch - my parents walk theirs every day (+-5km) and a few times a week my dad makes him run behind his truck for 5-10km at about 30km/h because 5km doesn't begin to extend him. I think that's where the monster appetite comes from. :lol: Unexercised, they can get very fat.

Back