Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Screeching belt

warrenpfo

Quick question. I have a 4.2 diesel 100 2003 and since the end of last week when I start her there is a screeching noise like a slipping belt and need your advice.

It’s on the front of the engine visible down the bottom. It’s not the belt that drives the air compressor or the fan but the other one and am uncertain of it name. It’s a V belt with a bolt tensioner on the right front side of the engine looking from the front.

Is it the serpentine belt?

How do I gauge its correct tension?

I think i found the problem.

There should be 3 visiable belts at the front of my engine. 2 V belts and a flat belt. The 2 V belts drive all the same pulleys and one of them has broken so all the work is being done by just one and I assume the friction it has to overcome to get things rolling is causing the screeching.

Does anyone know if its still OK to drive with just one of the V belts doing the work untill i can get to Toyota tomorrow to pick up 2 replacment belts?

I think this is the part number on the belt

90916-02652

Certainly ok to drive as long as things are turning round ok.
There is a heavy load on the V-belts at start-up, of two reasons:
1 is that the fan VC is fully engaged and forcing the fan to run at full speed. Solve that by idling until the fluid in the VC is in place and thereby letting the fan "calm down".
2 is the load from the alternator, mainly because the heating grid kicks in. Solve that by [A] disconnecting the plug to the heating grid solenoid - it's only for emmisions anyhow (if the temp is not under -15 C or so...). And by making sure the battery is fully charged.

Many thanks, is the best place for replacment belts toyota or will any other do?

I will be replacing both V belts and keeping the one good one i have as a spare and whilst im there may even replace the flat belt aswell.

Any quality belt will do. I've used t0yota, and I can't remember them being expensive.

The V-belts are the hardest to get to, but the life expectancy is about the same for the w-belt as well, so I would change both.

To get to the alternator, for loosening and tightening the V-belts, I've found it easiest to remove one or both of the IC rubber hoses. They are very quick to remove as long as the hose-clamp screw is in the right direction/position.

Back