Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat stain removal - araldite resin

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
On my last camping trip my toolbox leaked a little Araldite Resin (just the resin component, not the hardener) onto the bottom rear seat bolster leaving a horrible sticky patch about 2" x 1". I've tried cleaning it with soap and water, but of course no go. I just wondered if anyone knows something that will help remove this stuff - I'm thinking IPA or metho, but I don't want to damage the seat. Unfortunately these seats are a light grey fabric so it really shows.

If I can't get it off I'll see if I can get another bottom seat bolster from a scrapyard. Such a shame as despite being 21 years old the seats are otherwise spotless :(

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
I know it's not what you want to use on seat fabric, but I have found that diesel will dissolve a lot of high viscosity adhesives, but if it has gone off, then it might not be able to penetrate the resin.

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
Thanks mate I will bear that in mind as highly volitile solvents like acetone or petrol are likely to dissolve the seat foam or melt the other plastics.

Towpack

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I've used acetone to remove uncured epoxy from a shirt sleeve. It was a cotton shirt but acetone will attack some man made fibres. Maybe you could try some on a hidden part of the seat cloth underneath the seat to see if it reacts?

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
Yeah that's a good idea I'm sure there's some under trim etc that I could test that on, if not on the back seats on the front, which have the same cloth.