Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seized AC compressor

:thumbup: Ditto on that man http://www.air-care-automotive.co.uk/ he's the one I have used for quite a while now, always does a good thorough job, knows what he's doing with the equipment to do it AND he's mobile and not too far from me.

I hope it works out for you.

I haven't spoken to him for 5 or 6 years now, so glad he's still going. As said, he's very thorough, honest, and knows what he's doing - not many of those around!

I wonder if he fancies an an all expenses paid trip to Romania! There's nobody here that knows zip about AC (including me) and I'm desperate to get mine working, it was 34 degrees today, and rising!

Just to update. I popped in to see John the chap mentioned previously. What a nice genuine down to earth guy. He answered all my questions even the silly ones and explained what he was doing and what he hoped the outcome would be.

Long storey short I need a new ac line to the rear, replace the ac compressor and we should be good to go. I hope to have this done by the weekend and John was then going to pressure test and fill her up for me.

I will keep you posted

Good to hear. I'm thinking about getting him around for this Saturday to repaid mine. I think my compressor is ok (the inner wheel at least turns by hand quite easily) but the condensor is definitely dead ... so I guess would need a new dryer as well.

Oil asked about a new condenser and he quoted £475 from Toyota which included the dryer at £45.

Just so you are prepared for the shock

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ouch! Might have to fit an after market one before he looks at it then!

Thanks for the heads up!

I also asked about an aftermarket one and was not aware of any but I have seen one on eBay for just over a £100ish that looked ok.

I guess it depends on how well it's made but keep me posted as mine is ok for now but he did say if money was no object to have it replaced. So like you I am on the look out.

Grant I'm on my phone so can't see what car you drive but if its an 80 series there is one on eBay brand new ORM going cheap so I would grab it.

Thanks for the links

Yes that's the one. I guess worth asking if its genuine.

I will update as we go along.

Had a response ...

"It was bought from Advanced Radiators in Newcastle. At the
time is cost me £175 and was described as Original Equipment Manufacturer.
It is not marked Toyota. However, i have checked their website and see that
they only do aftermarket now."

Think I might stick with the air con parts one ... at least there is a warranty that way. From the response not 100% if it's genuine or not.

Here is a question for those in the know.
I have received my new ac compressor from Toyota our man in the know says that they should have some oil in it but you need to add the right amount. When asked what that is i was told you need to follow Denso's instructions which are as follows.

Precautions for removal and installation

1. To reclaim refrigerant from the A/C unit, use certified recovery equipment
2. When handling refrigerant, follow governmental regulations
3. To remove the Compressor, refer to the appropriate vehicle repair manual
4. In order to keep moisture out of the system, cap the open fittings immediately when disconnecting hoses
5. Always replace the Receiver/DrierCompressor oil inspection procedure

Before installing the new Compressor, check the amount of Compressor oil necessary for the system. Follow the procedure described below;
EXAMPLE
A - B = Oil amount to remove from new Compressor
A (new Compressor) = 120 cc (4.22 fl oz)
B (remaining in old Compressor) = 50 cc (1.76 fl oz)
Oil amount to remove from new Compressor = 70 cc (2.46 fl oz)

Compressor Run-in Procedure

After replacing the DENSO Compressor, always follow the Run-in Procedure to avoid possible Compressor damage.

RUN IN PROCEDURE

A/C On
Time 2-4 minutes
Engine RPM Idle

When replacement is needed for retrofit

You can use the following Oil Replacement Calculation when
converting (retrofitting) a CFC12 system to HFC134a. All 10P type Compressors use ND oil-8 for HFC134a .

All TV type compressors use ND oil-9 for HFC134a . The amount of oil to be replaced can be calculated as follows: Specified oil amount for CFC12 x 1.2 = specified retrofit amount for HFC134a.
When replacing a Compressor it is necessary to follow the DENSO
procedure for oil replacement. Always make sure you use the
specified oil of the Compressors. DENSO offers different grades of
Compressor oil with two size options:
Oil ND-8
Oil ND-9

A highly insulating oil which protects against Electrical leakage. Do not mix with other types as this might result in Electrical leakage causing damage of Electrical and Electronic equipment inside the vehicle.

My question is what happens if on opening up my old compressor there is no oil? Is this possible as it did seize after all. How do I know if I have removed all the oil from the old one as there is no sump or filler plug you undo it just goes in through the high pressure ac hose port.

Surely there must be a figure and not just remove oil from new minus oil removed from old and hey presto.

There may be no oil in the old compressor, although unlikely. The oil is spread throughout the system and carried by the refrigerant, like a 2 stroke engine. So your old compressor didn't fail because it had no oil in the system, but maybe because being run with next to no gas meant that there was next to nothing to carry the oil around the system. As the compressor is quite high up, it's quite possible that most of the oil is sat lower down in the system.

You just follow the guidlelines above, or the ones I wrote earlier - the only difference being I would throw the oil from the new compressor away and replace with new fresh, plus I add 20ml for good luck. It's all give and take as you can't completely empty the old one, but then you can't completely empty the new one either.

Cheers Dave, I have asked John if he will put the oil in for me that ways its covered by his warranty. He also said to add close on 50% more as the landcruiser with rear ac has a long run for the oil to travel through and the extra will not go amiss.

Don't trust the pics on Ebay. The pic is often identical to your old part but when you get the replacement it's nothing like. I've been doing a bit of research.

Frank

Just to close this off.

I have just returned from John who has pressure tested and filled my AC system for me and its al good news. We now have an almost new ac system working as it should. I cant recommend John enough, he is patience, cost conscious and just an all round nice guy.

Thanks all for the help.

Time to move onto the next job now.

Back