Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Service History

warrenpfo

Those in the know will know that service history is the next most important thing when it comes to purchasing a landcruiser after its general appearance. After a certain period of owning a landcruiser it gets tot he point where it does not make sense to have it serviced by the main dealer or any dealer for that matter and so most of us turn to doing it ourselves or with the help of other landcruiser enthusiasts.

My question is how does one go about proving service history when it then comes to selling your vehicle. It may only have 5 or so stamps in the book from the dealer and you have then serviced the car yourself.

Are you keeping every receipt for all the work you have bought and the other bits and pieces you have done or are you taking pictures to proved the cam belt has been changed etc.

every receipt and also write down in a list/chart style what and when + general comments

so

16/07/12 , 182,000 , fitted new rear discs and pads , osr pads had 2mm and nsr 4mm
16/06/12 , 182,000 , regreased all prop uj's
etc
etc

even down to bulb changes and tyres etc .

I scan all receipts for work done and all parts bought except eBay bits of course.

I know that when i buy a car, if the seller produces a file containing reciepts, and talks convincingly about having serviced it himself I take his word, especially if he's owned the car for a few years.

I keep all my reciepts and make notes in the service book of any extra work I've done. anyone buying the car is welcome to trawl through the reciepts. IMO an older vehicle serviced by an enthusiast is as good a buy as one with dealer history. i realise that dealer history carries more weight on paper, but after a certain age that becomes irrelevant.

I don't keep reciepts for the parts but I do keep a diary of things done which might be work done or simply things checked or noticed while doing work and I only fit genuine timing belts, idler tensioner etc and put the sticker on the belt cover with the date and mileage on.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk 2

I keep every single receipt, or bit of correspondence, sorted by date :lol:

A bit anal no doubt. But - it did get Mr T to swap out my injectors because I could prove every single thing I said!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I keep a separate ring binder for each vehicle and also maintain 'Record of Costs' docs for each one.

Everything goes in there, receipts, fitting instructions, adverts, printed comments from user forums.

I sold a BMW bike through a Dealer a couple of years back - he got "the book" with the bike (less all the Insurance records).

A potential buyer flew up from Yeovil to look at it and was very impressed with the record, he bought the bike and rode it home (from the Edinburgh area :thumbup: ).

I think a decent record helps sell a vehicle - though the cumulative cost is a bit of an eye-opener. I bought my 1998 Colorado in July 2008, to date it has cost me £12,750 (excluding fuel costs) :doh: .

It sailed through the MOT test today though :whistle: .

Bob.

Yes i keep every receipt and i also like to see this when buying a car and this is normally reflected in the car.

Joe

I have a folder for each vehicle too. Every receipt or document goes into punched pockets in a ring binder. You can see at a glance when work was carried out and how much it cost. :thumbup:

Back