Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sex Equalisation

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
NEW EUROPEAN COMMISSION rules on gender discrimination come into effect today meaning female drivers may face considerable hikes in their car insurance premiums.

The guidelines which were published in January say insurers can no longer take gender into account when calculating premiums. This will raise premiums for female drivers who previously had lower rates because they have a better track record on the roads than their male counterparts. Male drivers are in luck as the gender equalisation rules mean insurers can no longer charge them higher premiums just because they’re men.

An insurance advisor interviewed today on Radio2 has recommended that all male insured drivers should contact their insurers/brokers to see if they will benefit. In some cases it may even be worth canceling a policy, paying the admin charge, and taking out a new policy (only applies if you haven't made a claim on the current policy).

May not be much difference for old blokes with 99yrs NCD, but some folks may benefit. Please will you post here if you get any good results......

Andrew

£30 cheaper on my Volvo so not worth then. Would probably be down to market fluctuation rather than anything else IMO. Not tried to re quote on the LC yet but will probably wait for my renewal in 3 months as will get an extra years NCB and less hassle.

I personally think the industry will increase female driver premiums more than they will reduce male drive premiums so as a whole we all end up paying more...

Insurance companies probably started this action themselves . It's just an excuse to give when they tell all women their policy is now a few hundred quid more expensive . Can you imagine any bloke getting a call from their insurance company saying "i'm happy to tell you your entitled to a part refund on your insurance policy because your not a woman"

Not a chance !

Certainly in ireland the companies are just using it as an excuse to rip off women drivers identically to male drivers. Remember insurance is just a scam made legal by the governments so don't ever expect a change in the law to benefit you.

While its law we have insurance there should also be a law stating how the cost of insurance is calculated . 99% of my insurance cost is calculated on a one in ten billion chance some numpty in a Maybach will visit the dump i live in and i will crash into him !

Back