Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should i keep my new to me 1998 4.2???

NevB

Country Flag
england
So I’ve just bought a rather run down 1998 4.2 with 125k on the clock. It’s been parked up for 2 years. It belonged to the MD of a company I worked for and it’s never done a days work in its life, it’s never been of road and basically just popped round town with the occasional blast up and down the motorway. Unfortunately he took ill and bashed it into things like gate posts and his car port. It’s immaculate inside runs absolutely perfect now that I’ve gutted the cat that was blocked, it needs both front wings, passenger side step and both bumpers replacing . I know it’s going to need some money throwing at it I just need some encouragement and advice.

The answer to your question is yes. If it's structurally and mechanically sound you have a moral obligation to keep this vehicle on the road.

In all seriousness it sounds like you've lucked out. How bad is the damage? Any photos?

Metal can always be fixed its just a question of how much it will cost and the answer to that is usually decided by rust or the lack of it ?

The carriage is just a box to keep you dry and warm the important stuff is all underneath it .

Depends on how much you Paid for it, If you got it for next to 'Nowt,' then having to spend some money on it isn't the end of the world, 125,000 Miles is nothing for that engine and box...... Keep it from the scrap yard if you can, Especially if its got Basic coil and spring suspension, The AHC set up can get expensive if it needs sorting, And as Shayne and Jacob have said the underneath is the most important........Keep it mate... And good luck

Keep it Sort it Drive it you can replace front and rear bumpers with winch bumper at front heavy duty at the back if the wings are not too bad you can repair them depending on what you want it for do you want to go for camping ground holidays do you want to go on overland holidays green lanes and wild camping the Great Big outdoors is yours make your mind up what you want to do and then build it up The Membership will give you encouragement support and advice some may even be a stones throw away Karl, Chapplegate and 80s breaker could help with some spares Oh and welcome to the club

1 + for the underneath being in reasonable nick as the deciding factor.Some photos would be useful .oh and welcome aboard.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Where are you in the UK? Someone might be just round the corner

It’s solid underneath from what little I’ve had a look. Lots of surface rust which needs sorting but I don’t think it would take to much work. Both Diffs are leaking but again there not end a hard job to sort. Wings are shot, they need replacing. I plan to get the cat back on, drain all the fluids and change them and then get it in for a mot and go from there. I also own a TVR so I’m no stranger to buying problems

The answer to your question is yes. If it's structurally and mechanically sound you have a moral obligation to keep this vehicle on the road.

In all seriousness it sounds like you've lucked out. How bad is the damage? Any photos?
I’ve put it in my work shop for now but I’ll get some pics over Xmas when I’m off

Attachments

• CB090488-F134-4516-B852-591F2FF258DE.jpeg
    CB090488-F134-4516-B852-591F2FF258DE.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 54
Jeez i'd drive that as is , leaks are dried up seals that will come good again with some new oil and use and from what i can see a body shop would make it straight for fun .

Now I may be partial to a 1998 100 series VX diesel but I don’t think anyone on here would disagree that you are doing the right thing with that truck.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Higgy mentioned “someone might be just around the corner” and I could just be one of them! happy to have a quick run through the pipe (Mersey tunnel to those of you who don’t reside in the north west!) to have a look at your Amazon - and seeing we both seem to be afflicted by the same disease I wouldn’t mind a look the TVR as well!

You'd have to steal my 1998 100 series, I wouldn't sell it...

Higgy mentioned “someone might be just around the corner” and I could just be one of them! happy to have a quick run through the pipe (Mersey tunnel to those of you who don’t reside in the north west!) to have a look at your Amazon - and seeing we both seem to be afflicted by the same disease I wouldn’t mind a look the TVR as well!
That could be a plan mate. I’ve not had any time to look at it but as I’m off all over Xmas I’m hoping to make a big dint in the list of shit I have to do!

You have West Coast Offroad not far up the road from you might be useful for spares and some ideas if you can get a look at their fleet and customer builds they also sell Ironman kit and other stuff

Over Christmas sounds ideal, if you get in touch once you know what your plans are I’m sure we can arrange something!

Back