Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Side mirror glass removal........???

last one
lcmirror.jpg

Joe

:cool: Thanks for that Joe :thumbup: They say a photo says a thousand words & those certainly have :D Looks like it should just pull off with enough of a yank from the bottom :think: I'll have a spray with some plus gas in the general area of the bottom of the back of the glass support frame before hand just to give it as much help as possible :) Will give it a go in the morning and let you know how it's gone :p

OK so had another go @ giving it a tug & it defeated me again :roll: :( Son out with the tool kit & off with the mirror :thumbup: Should've done it right from the outset cause once upsidedown in my hand I could clearly see the clip tabs & after a spray of PlusGas & a tiny tickle with a flat blade screwdriver the glass came off with little resistance :thumbup: Point to not that the top tabs also grab the white skeleton thing & also benefit from just a little help with a flat blade screwdriver while pulling the mirror downwards :thumbup:

P1010370.jpg

P1010371.jpg

P1010372.jpg

P1010374.jpg

P1010375.jpg

P1010376.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010378.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010380.jpg

P1010381.jpg

P1010382.jpg

So that's enough of that back to the main event & the reason I wanted to get inside the side mirror in the first place :D Can I get this to fit :?: :!:

P1010383.jpg

Well it's close but reckon if I trim away the area inside the grey line there's a strong possibility that this could work :D

P1010384.jpg

P1010385.jpg

P1010386.jpg

I cut out the shape of the light from the base of a paper plate & stuck it in place on the mirror to get some idea of what it may look like :D :thumbup:

P1010394.jpg

P1010395.jpg

And here's some thing that I had not considered once they are fitted you could pull the mirrors in the shine light out @ 90 degrees to the truck :D

P1010396.jpg

P1010397.jpg

Here's some misc pics showing what does the inside of my side mirror look like :thumbup:

P1010398.jpg

P1010399.jpg

P1010400.jpg

P1010401.jpg

P1010402.jpg

They also fit really nicely on top of the chassis rail @ the front there :think: :D

P1010405.jpg

P1010407.jpg

P1010408.jpg

Well done in finding all that out, I was watching this post closely and now that you have managed to get the glass out without breaking it I have added some of the lights to my birthday list.

I am also thinking of adding indicator repeaters whilst I am in there...you know like those things you see on posh cars :lol: ;)

Steve

BlackWidow said:
Well done in finding all that out, I was watching this post closely and now that you have managed to get the glass out without breaking it I have added some of the lights to my birthday list.

I am also thinking of adding indicator repeaters whilst I am in there...you know like those things you see on posh cars :lol: ;)

Steve
:cool: I shall look forward to your photos :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So Steve, have you gone against the mirror idea :?:

I have been looking at the dimensions and I think on the 80 mirror, the lights might snag the mirror movement.
Question is, will I be able to get the mirror in the right position for me :?:
I had considered a second hand mirror to practice on but that may be a tad expensive way to go about it.
I may chicken out and just hang them from the bottom of the mirror housing :lol:

Ecky Thump said:
So Steve, have you gone against the mirror idea
No :) I've just not had the time :roll: Life has been very busy :violin: Lots of family do's & 70th Birthdays :roll: :D I've still only half done my storage box & have not had a chance to refit my gearstick since last Wednesday :shock: Good job it's just a toy for me & not my DD :)

Ecky Thump said:
I have been looking at the dimensions and I think on the 80 mirror, the lights might snag the mirror movement
Question is, will I be able to get the mirror in the right position for me
That's not something that I can answer for you :( From memory the light measures about 70mm front to back but I'm going to mount it from the front so that the flange on the back of the lamp stops it pushing right into the mirror housing. I think that then there is only about 45mm of it inside the housing & then theres a little bit more to play with, with respect to the rubber seal on the back maybe 2/3mm. It's close & I still need to make some more measurments for the Collie mirror but I've got a couple of other things to finish off first.

Ecky Thump said:
I had considered a second hand mirror to practice on but that may be a tad expensive way to go about it
I do like the idea of doing this but surely this is no different to buying a replacement should you bugger up one of your existing ones :) Go for it with what you have & if you make a cock of it then buy a replacement if not then you've saved the kids school uniform money :D ;)

Ecky Thump said:
I may chicken out and just hang them from the bottom of the mirror housing
No! No! No! before doing that look @ the LED daytime driving lights that Ring & other make as they have a much slimmer profile & they would be my next consideration should I decide that I can't get these ones to fit :D

My main worry @ the mo more so than if it will fit is if the heat from it will melt the mirrors plastic
:think: :)

sae70 said:
if you make a cock of it then buy a replacement if not then you've saved the kids school uniform money :D ;)

My main worry @ the mo more so than if it will fit is if the heat from it will melt the mirrors plastic
:think: :)

Kids uniform money :shh: those were the days, the youngest is at college now :dance:

I doubt the heat will be an issue, Let's face it, it takes a lot more heat than that to mould the plastic in the first place.

I hadn't realised the lens and the first bit of the case take up 18mm so 45mm seems a bit easier to play with.
Wonder if i'll get away with practicing on the other half's mirrors :?: Her 80 is virtually the same green as mine :shhh:

Well I spent most of today bu**ering about with my wing mirrors and the lights.
There was no way I could fit the lights inside due to the available depth so I have hung them underneath for now.
All the wiring is in place and as soon as I find suitable lights it will be an easy job to swap over, so they will do for now.

Ecky Thump said:
Well I spent most of today bu**ering about with my wing mirrors and the lights
:cool: Any pics :?:

Ecky Thump said:
There was no way I could fit the lights inside due to the available depth
:o really :!: :?: That's a shame as the 80 mirror looks a simular size to the Collie one :think: Maybe I need to have a more accurate measure :| It is close I know but I did think it would be doable :)

Ecky Thump said:
so I have hung them underneath for now
Any pics :?: :)

Ecky Thump said:
All the wiring is in place and as soon as I find suitable lights it will be an easy job to swap over, so they will do for now
Have a look @ the LED lights that Ring do as they seem to be shallower :)

I was considering these ones as an alternative http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product ... ?prod=2060

BRL0397.jpg

Here you go, just took these.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

As you can see, not the best but that's life.

The mirror is huge but inside is a massive cast ally bit that would need some right butchering to fit the lights in.
Also the mirror back is convex enough that the light would have to look cockeyed to face in the right direction or have to be in the centre which would be impossible due to the gubbins in there.
At least all the wiring is in and there are only two small self tapper holes in the underside of each mirror.
sae70 said:
I was considering these ones as an alternative http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product ... ?prod=2060
I had a look at them lights in the motorfactors and they are quite huge. They would hang under nicely though.

I intend to use mine for extra reversing lights when I find something more suitable for the mirrors.

Having said that, I tried them on the way to work this morning and with the spots too I can see everything for miles.
The guy coming the other way on full beam soon turned it down when I gave him the whole lot :o

I think that this was a good idea on the fact that you may needs to do it and have a replacement side mirrors, this would really help us on what to do and how to do it. I hope all will be well by following this one.

Well Armand, all I can say is, it has been an outstanding success. Laning at night is a whole new experience with these relatively tiny lights and the only pain fitting them was routing the cable through.

There is the added bonus that by folding in the mirrors it lights up all down the side of the car too.

Ecky Thump said:
Well Armand, all I can say is, it has been an outstanding success. Laning at night is a whole new experience with these relatively tiny lights and the only pain fitting them was routing the cable through.

There is the added bonus that by folding in the mirrors it lights up all down the side of the car too.

That's good to hear from you. I hope that the added bonus can really compensate the exterior look of your vehicle on that one. Cheers for your mod! :)

armandjones82 said:
I think that this was a good idea on the fact that you may needs to do it and have a replacement side mirrors, this would really help us on what to do and how to do it. I hope all will be well by following this one.

This had helped a lot it think. I hope that all will be well by now. And try to really make things done by now.

Here's another thread I never quite finish off :shifty:

Maybe i'll get a chance later on this evening :icon-smile:

I just fitted a mirror glass in mine and as Silvercruiser says you just pull it out at the bottom and lift it up off the top locators

Back