Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SleeOffroad...

Julian Voelcker said:
10 months doesn't sound very long, however it depends on how they failed.

I could blame the fitter :roll:
whahahaha.... not they where fitted proper... I am sure of that.....

Julian Voelcker said:
however more likely than not I wouldn't be surprised if it was a breather issue - I'm guessing you have a pre Aug '92 model??? The older breather unions had a pitifully small breather hole that was prone to blocking, particularly if you off roaded a bit - you need to take this breather union off and drill it out with a 5mm drill (carefully otherwise you can snap the drill).

well the truck is from the 26th of August 1992..... but has the old style gearbox soo.... ?!
Last time I checked the breathers was 2k miles ago with an oil and filter change and they where free...

Julian Voelcker said:
The other thing is the condition of the CVs - a worn CV will lead to excessive movement in the halfshafts that will also lead to wear.

to be fair my CV's are worn.... I can hear them clicking in low and I think I can hear them in high now too in bends and on roundabouts but not sure... So that could be the cause then..??

Julian Voelcker said:
For overlanding, just run with Toyota inner seals, later (with ABS rings) CVs and drive flanges from Milners, do the Martack welding mod on the halfshaft so you don't need to use the snap rings on the CVs and pack the knuckles so they are around 3/4s full of grease. Yes the CVs won't last as long as genuine ones, but value for money they will be fine. I've had trucks do 40-50k miles round Africa with this combo without any problems.

Although the truck is going to be build to overland spec I am still using it in the UK for Off-roading a lot too....
Will just get genuine CV's me thinks.... not to bothered that it costs more.... quality comes at a price after all....
I don't mind spending more as long as it is good.... that is more important....
So you not think the Marlin Crawler seals are good?
I thought I buy a few sets and see what all the fuss is about...

Ian Rubie said:
[quote="Julian Voelcker":15xta6wl]For overlanding, just run with Toyota inner seals, later (with ABS rings) CVs and drive flanges from Milners

I have to disagree with Julian here. In my opinion OEM is the only way for overlanding. The last thing you want is a major driveline component that has a known history of failing. There is the argument that when overlanding you should not risk anything tricky that might lead to problems but my counter to that is I would like a truck I can trust should the unexpected happen.

Yes, I have put my money where my mouth is, my overland truck has genuine CVs fitted.

Ian[/quote:15xta6wl]

I was to slow with my reply... :D
But I agree with you..

How much are/ where the genuine CV's

The Marlin Crawler seals are great, but I don't think that they are appropriate for your needs.

TobyJug said:
How much are/ where the genuine CV's

From a UK dealer they are very expensive but I can get them a lot cheaper. Will PM you details.

Ian

Back