Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smoke from transfer case when in 4wd

Luke105

Country Flag
australia
I was drivin on a relatively easy going beach last week before i started to drive into some softer patches of sand.

I locked the hubs and put it into 4wd and reversed out of the bog no dramas until i hit another soft bit of sand where i was in first gear and sitting around 3000rpm. White smoke started to flow out of the transfer case for about 10 seconds until i put it into neutral and hopped out the car.

I bought the car around a month ago with the 4wd stick not able to lift into neutral and low gear because it hadnt been used in 3-4 years

I was just reaching out to see if anyone has had any similar problems or what it could be/how to fix the stick

(note, the car was fine for the remainder of the trip and drove another 350 highway kms after this with no dramas) cheers

Hi Luke and welcome.

Not had the problem myself but would say that it sounds like an electrical fault from a damaged cable or that the centre diff lock (CDL) motor is seized or otherwise unable to do its job. Did you get any light on the dash indicating that your diff lock had engaged? Have you tried everything since you bought it and verified that the CDL locks and unlocks?

With the stick being difficult to move, I would drop the oil from the transfer case (after loosening the filler cap to make sure you can refill it) and see what the oil looks like when it comes out. See if there’s any water in it.

There’s others on here with more experience of this area than I that may be able to shed more light.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Back