Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smoking section

Philip A

A smoking section in a restaurant is as good as a pissing section in a swimming pool...

A smoking section in a restaurant is as good as a pissing section in a swimming pool...

A nice little quiet debate on smoking I foresee...:hand:

Anyway, agreed 100%.

But only because the owner is too tight to install a decent air conditioning unit.

I know a few good restaurants here that allow smoking and don't have an incling of 'stray' smoke. You wouldn't know smoking was permitted in them, simply because they have monster A/Cs removing and replacing air constantly, winter and summer.

They work.

If they don't, then they're not big enough.

No crowds of outcasts lurking outside in the pouring rain either.

I'm a smoker and not too proud of it, and I don't smoke in restaurants. But smoking/non-smoking should be the decision of the owner not Whitehall. If people don't like others smoking in the restaurant they go to, then they should go to a non-smoking resaurant.

They will be banning smoking in your own home next (I don't smoke in my house either).

If smoking is so bad (and I agree that there's nothing good about it) then they should ban it altogether, and be prepared to lose the huge revenue coming from it.

Government want the money, but they also want to be nanny. Bloody hypocrites the lot of them.

On recent trips to London lately, the bedraggled hunched outside the pubs is a disgrace and a pathetic joke. Clearly by their numbers nobody can argue they're an insignificant minority.

Give 'em a pub to smoke in, 100% smokers, smoking staff and proper A/Cs. Avid non-smokers can stay away and go to the non-smoking pubs/restaurants.

Nobody values their freedom anymore.

The UK's gone bonkers.

(That should set off a few responses... I'll get my coat, to steal a phrase...) :icon-biggrin:

I agree 100% with what Clive has said, I'm a smoker too and at home I confine my smoking to one room only, where my PC is, (I'm having a fag right now) but I do understand how obnoxious smoking is to non-smokers, in the past I have given up smoking twice, once for 5 years and once for 4 years :oops:, and remember that smelling others smoking was 'orrid so I think banning it in restaurants is OK, but in a pub :think:, a beer and a fag and a good chat with mates was a pleasure, alas no more :(

Woo-oh oooh... That was intended as a joke! I heard the remark somewhere and it's funny and to the point...

We don't have a smokers/non smokers debate here, also because 90% of restaurants do away with walls since a roof is plenty enough with our weather (25 C to 35 C the year round)!

But at least if you p*** in the pool not everyone around you knows... :whistle: Unless they all do it at once!:oops:

Well it was like this you see, it was friday night, I'd had a rough week and a few tinnies and it was late (maybe 01:30 or so in the morning) and I saw the post.

Quite clever I thought, can't argue with that!

Then I just drifted off into a "politeish" rant. Funny what you see the next day after a few beers!

Anyway, I got it off my chest, and I thought I'd have a torrent of abuse, but good old Chas agrees with me. There's hope yet!

I like Philip A's "We don't have a smokers/non smokers debate here, also because 90% of restaurants do away with walls since a roof is plenty enough with our weather (25 C to 35 C the year round)!"

It's a bit like that here, 40+ in the summer, so there's big A/C units running full chat most of the time.... till the winter comes, then it's -20 :shock:

Anyway, apologies for the outburst :doh:, congrats to Chas for being sane and well done Philip A for the comment. Nice one :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you want to smoke, go ahead, I don't mind, just as long as it doesn't affect me. Viv and I don't have kids but 55% of my council tax goes to educating other peoples kids. Is that fair? No it isn't, so you may understand that pissed off as I am about the council tax, I would be even more so if some smoker gets cancer and expects me, a non smoker, to pay for that smokers treatment via the national health.

Yes, eventually, the government of the day will ban smoking.

Unless, you, the smokers, sign a declaration that if you get a cancer directly related to smoking, you don't expect us non smokers to pay for your treatment.

Roger

But at least if you p*** in the pool not everyone around you knows... :whistle: Unless they all do it at once!:oops:

Isnt the little shallow one next to the main pool for pissing in? Thats what the kids seem to use it for anyway!

Dave (ex-lifeguard)

If you want to smoke, go ahead, I don't mind, just as long as it doesn't affect me. Viv and I don't have kids but 55% of my council tax goes to educating other peoples kids. Is that fair? No it isn't, so you may understand that pissed off as I am about the council tax, I would be even more so if some smoker gets cancer and expects me, a non smoker, to pay for that smokers treatment via the national health.

Unless, you, the smokers, sign a declaration that if you get a cancer directly related to smoking, you don't expect us non smokers to pay for your treatment.

Roger

You certainly have made your point Roger, and most people have a point to make, be them smokers or non smokers.

I'm 59 years old and I've never used the National Health, so I've been lucky and the chances are I'm the one who's been funding your treatment (assuming you've had some of course) as opposed to you funding mine, and that's what it's all about.

Also don't forget, the heaviest taxed person in the country is the smoker. Cigarettes are probably 40p a pack and the rest is tax... at my rate of smoking that's about 5 quid a day in tax more than you pay, tax that goes towards the NHS, so before you stand on a street corner with blank declarations for passing by smokers to sign, have a little think about it.

We all pay in, one way or another, and we're all glad of it when our time comes. You might get lucky, and I'll get hit by a bus... :lol:

And yes it IS fair that you pay for other kids' education, it would be unfair if you didn't! Please, think before you say these things, otherwise the UK will end up like the US (if it's not too late already), pay as you go and those less well off can go to hell.

And... the first government that will ban smoking altogether will be the govenment of cloud cuckoo land methinks...

Have a nice day :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
As you live in Romania, and our national health doesn't cover that country, maybe that's the reason you've never used it. Or am I making a similar assumption to you?

Income tax is like death, inevitable but tax on cigarettes is not. If you don't want to pay it, stop smoking.

Me, pay for your kids education, Typical parent, expect everyone else to do your job for you. There yours, your choice to continue to overpopulate this planet. You pay for them, you buy their food their clothes their toys or do you expect me to pay for them to? They were your choice, now pay for it.

Have a nice day.:icon-wink:

Roger

Sorry Roger, please calm down. It was you who started the tax thing and attacked me directly.

FYI, I have one child who will be coming to school age in two years time and I will pay for her education simply because the welfare system here is on it's knees and can't afford to educate the country's kids properly.

Before I left the UK 11 years ago, I had paid (and still do) into the UK tax and NHS and everything else that UK citizens pay into, and I haven't drawn a penny from the UK, and never will. So don't go on at me about how much my cancer will cost you.

My point (in response to your wingeing) was that any Social System relies on everyone contributing regardless of those that draw on it. How can you seriously complain that because you didn't have kids, you've been hard done by the system. What if you'd had 3 kids? would you be complaining then?

It's like moaning because you paid your insurance and haven't crashed the car.

Sorry, you launched a direct attack on me, so I retaliated.

Come and live here if you want to see how your way of thinking works in practice. No social security... it's a nightmare walking down the street trying to ignore 85 year old homeless ladies begging some coppers. Winter's coming and they will die on the streets, it's a fact. You want that in Britain? That's the way pay as you go works my friend.

Please lighten up, I meant no harm, certainly not to you.

Clive,

I love a good debate. I don't need to calm down because, to me, that is what this is, a debate. Don't get me wrong with what I have just written, I mean every word of it.

A good social system relies on everyone who is earning, paying into the state pot an amount that pays for the things they want. This is fair. What is unfair are the people who take more than they contribute ie the couple with lots of kids who demand a large house to accommodate them plus food and clothing and rent free to boot.

Your point about me having 3 kids is irrelevant, I don't have any.

I don't moan about my car insurance,or my house and contents insurance come to that. It's insurance and I pay for it. And for what it's worth, I'm well in credit.

And that's the point. I'm not wingeing, or at least no more than you, If I want it, I expect to pay for it and conversely, if I don't want it, I don't expect to pay for it.

In the same way I don't want to live in Rumania. Viv and I have just come back from Russia and that was an eye opener. Moscow is pig sty and St Petersburg is nearly as bad. The people are fabulous but the conditions under which they are expected to live is a disgrace, as least in comparison to the UK.

Oh and please don't tell me to lighten up. I've paid for my truculence, he he.

Roger:icon-biggrin:

Roger

Roger would you object if you got treatment for an illness unrelated to smoking that a smokers taxes contributed to. :think:

OK Roger,

I think we can agree to disagree on this, in true debate fashion. No offence meant and none taken.

To be honest, I'm not complaining about anything...

I still like PhilipA's opening thread "A smoking section in a restaurant is as good as a pissing section in a swimming pool..." it just about sums it all up!.

Romania's an OK place to live if you've got a good job, and it's getting better, although I don't blame you for not wanting to live here. It suits me and it's provided me with a lovely wife, a beautiful daughter, wonderful mountains, plenty of 4x4 and mountain biking opportunities and winter skiing, all on my doorstep.

I've made it my home.

Good health to you and all the best.

Clive

Would you?

The question is irrelevant anyway; smokers pay tax because they smoke and no one makes them do it. It's just like drinking or filling up my fuel tank. You want it you pay for it.

I didn't want kids but I'm still expected to pay for them. That's unreasonable.

I want my pleasures in life and I expect to pay for them. Viv and I have 6 or so holidays a year and we pay for them. We don't ask you to contribute.

Years ago the bars, hotels and public places reeked of stale tobacco. Do you want to go back to that? Smokers are in the minority now and the sooner it is banned, the better.

My comment concerning a signed declaration came from the heart, not the head but it still doesn't change my view that we should all pay for what we want. You want a house a car or whatever, you pay for it. If you can't afford it in one go, you get a mortgage or a loan.

You want it, you pay for it, that's the fair way.

Roger

OK Roger,

I think we can agree to disagree on this, in true debate fashion. No offence meant and none taken.

To be honest, I'm not complaining about anything...

I still like PhilipA's opening thread "A smoking section in a restaurant is as good as a pissing section in a swimming pool..." it just about sums it all up!.

Romania's an OK place to live if you've got a good job, and it's getting better, although I don't blame you for not wanting to live here. It suits me and it's provided me with a lovely wife, a beautiful daughter, wonderful mountains, plenty of 4x4 and mountain biking opportunities and winter skiing, all on my doorstep.

I've made it my home.

Good health to you and all the best.

Clive

Clive.

My Dad died from cancer. He was 67. I'm 69, so maybe I'm living on borrowed time.

2 years ago a friend of mine died from cancer. He drank a bottle of whisky and smoked 50 a day. He was 53. Left a wife and two kids. Over the years I have seen other friends die from cancer and other such nasties and it's made me cynical. Just a few months ago a new friend I met at the gym had a heart attack and that was that.

Che sara sara.

Roger

Back