Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkels - which one?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

There seems to be 2 different styles of snorkels available for the diesel 100 series.

As far as I can see, both styles fit.

Toyota 100 series Land Cruiser
Petrol 1FZ-FE 4.5Litre-I6
Petrol 2UZFE V8 4.7Letre-V8
Diesel IHZ 4.2Litre-I6
Diesel IHD-FTE 4.2Litre-I6 "

Is there any preference to style?

Gra.

Attachments

• 100 NA a.jpg
    100 NA a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 769
  • 100 series NA.jpg
    100 series NA.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,107
  • ST100A.jpg
    ST100A.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 715
  • 100 series.jpg
    100 series.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,683
currently thinking about this .... but not done any research yet.

I think that in keeping with my current discrete, not in your face look I quite like the Airtec snorkel that sits close to the windscreen (like the one on Gav's 100) as opposed to the traditional ones with the S bend. However I can also see that there might be disadvantages with this type of snorkel - it cannot be turned to face the rear to avoid sucking leaves in and you cannot fit a head top pre filter.

Not sure there is a difference between petrol and diesel other than perhaps where the snorkel connects to the air box and where it enters the body.

Grahem: now you have a third style to consider :)

Looks a lot like the airtech (sp) fitted to [strike:317adg2q]Jon's[/strike:317adg2q] my hundee :cool:

Nice :mrgreen:

Don't think it's a real TJM Airtec though, I think they'd mention if it was. Nice snorkels those TJM Airtecs :lol: put a sock on it if you want to cut down the dust, but I bet most of it ends up in the air box dust traps on the cyclonic versions fitted to diesel models. Gav's petrol also has the cyclonic air box but that's not common :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Gav's petrol also has the cyclonic air box but that's not common :mrgreen:
...an uber selling point if I'm not mistaken JW :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
pretty sure I put an OEM washable filter in there for you as well Gav so don't just chuck it, check it first ;)

This is after-sales service is above and beyond the call of duty. : :mrgreen:
Jon I hope that you're charging Gavin by the hour. :cool:
Why is a round filter box so much better than a square one, pray tell?

John

The round one is cyclonic, i.e. it "has a tornado inside it". Works much like the spinner for you wet clothes, only that it spins out dust particles from the air. The result is that in a cyclonic air-box, most of the dust never even gets to the filter, and therefore you have better air-flow, and for a longer time. In addition, the filter is washable - just rinse it every 30-60 k km.
Mine has been used for over 200 k km now. The rust will kill it before the dust cloggs it.

uHu said:
The round one is cyclonic, i.e. it "has a tornado inside it". Works much like the spinner for you wet clothes, only that it spins out dust particles from the air. The result is that in a cyclonic air-box, most of the dust never even gets to the filter, and therefore you have better air-flow, and for a longer time. In addition, the filter is washable - just rinse it every 30-60 k km.
Mine has been used for over 200 k km now. The rust will kill it before the dust cloggs it.

Jon

You've just been put on notice! Thanks uHu for the heads up........

John

Back