Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So how good IS a Waeco fridge then?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
For those who don't know, I suffered a slight loss recently and one of the casualties was my almost new Waeco CF 40. Well, I got it repaired and it's back. Turned out to be a tuppeny component really, the temperature sender. Anyway, I've had it all fixed up including a little extra proofing in there. Just as a test when I got it back, I thought I'd see just how quickly it cools.

So here we are at ambient temperature with a glass of water and a spoon. This went on at 21:00 hrs.

P1000422.jpg

I went off to watch Extreme Fishing and some other blokey stuff and came back 2 hours later. You can see that the temp says -18. Well, sure but that's just air temp isn't it. It's not really freezing in there is it. Not in 2 hours.

P1000423.jpg

No? So check this out then..

P1000424.jpg

It's slightly grubby due to the fire but with the insulating jacket you'd never see that. My replacement has the jacket on and I have to say I think it's a good optional extra for £35.

P1000425.jpg

P1000426.jpg

Whaddya think then? Matching fridge AND freezer? Maybe time for those bigger springs

Chris

It's a good fridge then Chris ... ...in fact judging by your little experiment there i'd go as far as to say it was as good as a conventional full size fridge :thumbup:

In fact it's so cold in there Carl, I may have to get a hat like Karl's Nan got for him! I may keep it just to put vodka in. Or maybe my sunglasses for really hot days. :D

Chris

Very impressive Chris, I shall try that with my new Nat Luna when it arrives.

I'm testing it for heat retention now. Been at -18 all night, empty. Switched off (well set to zero), let's see how long it can stay cool, empty. With a frozen thermal mass inside, it could be a long time. But with nothing in it?

We'll see after the first hour.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Two and a quarter hours and it's reached -1. Not really a major surprise. It would have to be literally airtight to achieve that. But filled and cold in a vehicle without the power linked up (say running from ciggie lighter socket not leisure battery) your sandwiches would still be cold at lunchtime I think. In other words, it's probably as well insulated as a conventional cool box. The optional cover is sliver lined and covers the lid. The lid was the coolest part of the fridge when at -18. The rest of the box wasn't cool to the touch at all, so I suspect that in its jacket this would be even better.

I still think that compared to a household fridge they are a lot of money though!

Chris

We/I use to get someones keys when camping, and then freeze them in a cup. it was fun watching them trying to ment the ice so they could start their car lol.

Paul

After this demonstration, the fridge is now up for sale. They are great. Can't afford an Engel? Can't afford a new Waeco either?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11390

Chris

Back