Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Soft brakes - and Haynes workshop manual?

Robzimbo

Country Flag
kenya
Afternoon,

Just back from a fun long weekend with Pambere on the Laikipia plateau. Fabulous scenery, good game viewing (lots of elephant, and a VERY impressive 4m python). Pam's brakes aren't all they might be - they need a little 'double tap' to get proper pressure, so I need to have a look at why that is - any thoughts?

Also, has anyone used the Haynes workshop manual that covers 1997 - 2005 models (78, 79, 100 and 105 Series)? Is there anything better on the market?

Best regards

Rob
Nairobi

Afternoon,

Just back from a fun long weekend with Pambere on the Laikipia plateau. Fabulous scenery, good game viewing (lots of elephant, and a VERY impressive 4m python). Pam's brakes aren't all they might be - they need a little 'double tap' to get proper pressure, so I need to have a look at why that is - any thoughts?

Also, has anyone used the Haynes workshop manual that covers 1997 - 2005 models (78, 79, 100 and 105 Series)? Is there anything better on the market?

Best regards

Rob
Nairobi
Rob,
Check alll your slave cylinders as these may have a leak somewhere, causing air into the system and then leading to soft brakes.

Thanks Werner. It's an odd one - the fluid level doesn't appear to have dropped at all. But a couple of days ago, just after engine start, the pedal went all the way to the floor. Three or four pumps and pressure was back again, but it consistently needs a second touch to get proper 'bite'.

I'll check the whole system this week.

Thanks Werner. It's an odd one - the fluid level doesn't appear to have dropped at all. But a couple of days ago, just after engine start, the pedal went all the way to the floor. Three or four pumps and pressure was back again, but it consistently needs a second touch to get proper 'bite'.

I'll check the whole system this week.
Could also be the seals/washers in the master cylinder.

Re Haynes for the 100 series - Forget about it !!
Useless. Not only inaccurate and lacking, it's misleading and wrong some places.
Just get the FSM, on paper or in bits and bytes. Very convenient - gives you the whole picture.

Useless. Not only inaccurate and lacking, it's misleading and wrong some places.
Just get the FSM, on paper or in bits and bytes. Very convenient - gives you the whole picture.

Thanks, uHu. I checked out the download resource on this site, but none of the downloads are available - though maybe that's my connection or something. Anyway, I got one from downloadamanual.net. I guess my printer is going to be busy the next few days... ! Thanks for the advice.

R

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Brakes - the self-adjustor on the rear brake drums was full of gunk and bits of Africa. Cleaned out, tidied up, and now seems to work perfectly. No obvious leaks on the system that I could see.

Thanks for the advice on the FSM - I downloaded one for USD20. Very useful.

Rob
Nairobi

Haynes manuals have always been terrible. I was horrified by the content in them when they first came out and that was simple stuff. I dread to think what mistakes etc they make now their is more complicated stuff everywhere.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a FSM please

Factory Service Manual Philip. It's never ignorant to ask about something you're not sure of. :)

Back