Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Special tools - Front drive shaft oil seal

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
Are there any special tools needed to replace the front drive shaft into the transfer box oil seal? Don't want to find out when the prop shafts are already removed Cheers
IMG_20210822_154621.jpg

Other than replacing the oil and seal should I be looking to carry out any other maintenance while it's all dismantled. I sort of missed the maintenance this weekend (fell into lazy mode)

Yes - there is an oil seal in there, but to get at it can be difficult without the right tools.

1. Remove the front propshaft from the transfer box.

2. Remove the companion flange . . . The 30mm 'stake nut' in the centre can be very tight. I have made a 'stonking great' locking bar that bolts onto the flange. Using a small cold chisel and a hammer - knock the 'stake' out of its slot and then use a 30mm 3/4" drive socket with a power bar and a scaffold pole to undo the nut:

DSCN6311.JPG

3. In this example I have removed the Transfer Box and started stripping it - this allows me to remove the Hi-Vo chain and then remove the front output shaft with sprocket & bearings. You shouldn't have to do this. The oil seal can be seen here:

DSCN6319.JPG

4. It should be possible to remove the oil seal with the Companion Flange removed and the output shaft still in place - in which case it will look like this:

DSCN4838.JPG

5. Hook-out the old seal and clean-up the case around the hole. I press (knock) the new seal into place with a suitable socket - and a smear of Blue Hylomar jointing compound.

6. The companion flange sleeve can become scored if you have been off-roading and got mud/grit into the oil seal. If this is bad the new oil seal won't solve the leak. I have had success with "SpeediSleeves" - very thin tubes that are pressed onto the companion flange sleeve to provide a fresh surface for the oil seal. It helps if you have a press and a lathe when doing this but that is possibly not essential. Whatever you find/do make sure the sleeve that the seal runs on is clean and without any burrs.

DSCN8849.JPG

DSCN8857.JPG

The oil seal is Part Number: 90311-41008 .

You should also use a new Stake Nut - Part Number: 90179-22016 .

The Stake Nut should be torqued to 87 Ft/Lbs before being 'staked' with a small cold chisel and hammer.

DSCN0814.JPG

And there you go; I hope I haven't put you off but its as well to know what to expect - these things require some serious tools !

Bob.

Cheers Bob, can't go wrong with all that information and photos to boot

Hello Bob - I wouldn’t challenge someone with your deep knowledge of transfer boxes but I am surprised that such large tooling is required for that nut, if it ‘only’ gets torqued to 87ftlbs (about the same as a wheel nut). What causes them to become so tight?

It sounds wrong but I can assure you those nuts CAN BE tight. I guess its age, corrosion, heat cycles - who knows.

Sometimes they come undone fairly easily but others are a right pig.

I made a locking bar from steel bar - not very thick - and ended up tearing it apart - hence the enormous thing made from 6mm steel plate !

DSCN6316.JPG

That's why I thought it advisable to warn MickW of what he might encounter :icon-wink: .

Bob.

Hi Bob - I certainly wasn’t questioning your experiences. You have more experience than most I would say - it’s just curious how they become so tight. Although not really a ‘special tool’, I guess a puller is needed for the companion flange?

I hope you get one of the easier ones Mick!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Generally speaking once the nut is off one small tap will fetch the flange off. Don‘t think I’ve ever had to resort to using a puller. But would be the thing to have of course should it be tight on there

As Chris says - its just a parallel splined shaft - no taper and they usually come off easily . . . Crud, rust, abuse excepted.

Bob.

Well, I had to admit defeat and get my local garage to undo the nut with an air gun. Gave them the oilseal (from toyota) and they did the seal and changed the oil for some beer money. Sorted :thumbup::obscene-drinkingbe:

Back