Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speedometer quit

Mike59

Country Flag
united_states
My ‘94 80 series, Cruiser with 287,657 miles, just had the Speedo stop working. What’s the first things I should check? Thanks for advice!

The sender on the transfer box output shaft. Converts rotary motion to an electric signal, like a little gearbox thing

Coincidentally, this happened to me 2 weeks ago.
I think its a water ingress problem at the sender - and with the massive amounts of surface water lately (not climate change btw, just a lack of highway maintenance) i think it must have had a dousing.
My speedo suddenly decided to flicker between 0 and 95 mph stood still...
I looked up the problem on here and found a post that referred to a burned out track on the cluster PCB... so i stripped the dash out and found nothing.
Sprayed some lacquer on the bare tracks on the speedo and refitted. Then it worked ok again.
I still suspect the impulse sender on the gearbox.

There is also a slim chance your sender has failed or the key that drives it has lost drive - but wont hurt to pop the plug off it and douse in duck oil as a first check.

Slight hijack of the OP thread, but have any of you had the speedo reading too fast? Mine reads nearly double at times. Seems to do it pretty consistently if after starting the car I go in reverse and then drive forward it reads way too fast.

It must be in the cluster as the odo is reading correctly, ie not over recording distance.

Slight hijack of the OP thread, but have any of you had the speedo reading too fast? Mine reads nearly double at times. Seems to do it pretty consistently if after starting the car I go in reverse and then drive forward it reads way too fast.

It must be in the cluster as the odo is reading correctly, ie not over recording distance.
When i had issues with mine, this was the post i found and the actions to remedy it....

But after stripping out the cluster (what an absolute "cluster" of a job that was) i found mine to be ok... put it all back together and everything worked again... mysteriously mysterious....
With mine i was doing 95 up my driveway... :eusa-dance:

Thanks will have a read of that.
Yes, same the needle hits the stop

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had, the binnacle out the other day to replace the handbrake warning bulb....right pain to get it out. Will have to get back in there and check the speedo unit itself.

Back