Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spring spacers or stiffer springs?

Lorin

Finally getting my ARB bumper and winch installed next week :icon-biggrin: However, given the truck already has a low nose and high arse, it is definitely going to require a facelift to offset the added weight. I'd also like to take the opportunity to level it out. What do people reckon, spacers or new springs :think:

Current springs are OME somethings. They are about 5 years old so look awful but are I assume still perfectly okay. Only spacers I've been able to find so far are from Superpro at a frankly extortionate £65 for a pair. I've not priced up springs yet....

edit: Just found that Pedders do a 20mm spacer for £42 pair. How much do you reckon I'd need. I'd have thought 20mm would be too little.

Last edited:
Depends what you have on the front already. If you have 851's then replace them with 850's. If you have 850's already then they should be a good match for a bumper and winch. Is the rear high because it has a lot of lift, or have the front springs sagged? Saggy springs with spacers is never going to handle as well as getting the right springs and you often get a better ride with stiffer springs that are a good match for the weight than softer springs that allow more movement.

Cheers Jon. I don't know what the front springs are but would guess 851's. I was told the rears are the heavy duty OMEs, which may explain why it sits a little higher than the front unless it's loaded for a trip. I guess the best option is to take some measurements before and after the install and see if the front drops further. If it does, I'll go with a set of 850's.

I now have OME 863 in the back and 850 in the front. 850's are 3 years old. But the ARB bumper and the winch are a little too heavy for the 850's. When the winch was added, and also the roof top tent, the nose dived a little more. So I'm going to add spacers.
863's are +200kg heavy duty. 864's are +400kg super heavy duty.

Using spring spacers will limit the movement of the springs giving less articulation and increase the risk of the coils going into coil bind.

I would use spacers when there is no alternative. If you can get the height that you want from springs alone, this would generally be the better route to go.

We can offer the 7802 which is designed as an extra heavy duty spring for constantly loaded vehicles... i.e winch bumpers and winches.

The ride height should be around 795mm when installed on 16 inch wheels. Obviously this is dependent on how much weight you put on it.

http://www.pedders.co.uk/pedders-trakryder-coil-spring-7802_p4501604.htm

7702-380-380.jpg

We have the springs in stock and any orders placed before 2pm will go out the same day and be with you within 24 hours for just £4.99 tracked with DPD (UK mainland).

Regards

Michael @ Pedders

Last edited:
Using spring spacers will limit the movement of the springs giving less articulation and increase the risk of the coils going into coil bind.

I would use spacers when there is no alternative. If you can get the height that you want from springs alone, this would generally be the better route to go.

We can offer the 7802 which is designed as an extra heavy duty spring for constantly loaded vehicles... i.e winch bumpers and winches.

The ride height should be around 795mm when installed on 16 inch wheels. Obviously this is dependent on how much weight you put on it.

http://www.pedders.co.uk/pedders-trakryder-coil-spring-7802_p4501604.htm

7702-380-380.jpg

We have the springs in stock and any orders placed before 2pm will go out the same day and be with you within 24 hours for just £4.99 tracked with DPD (UK mainland).

Regards

Michael @ Pedders

Hi Michael,

It's probably mentioned somewhere on these threads, but when you refer to ride height measurements, are they taken from the road up to the wheel arch at the centerline of the wheel?

I'm interested to measure mine (OME suspension lift I'm afraid, but very pleased with it after 6 years I might add).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Clive,

Sorry I should have made that clearer :)

Pedders ride height measurements are taken from the bottom of the wheel rim to the bottom of the wheel arch.

This way, we take the tyre size out of the equation and it's an easy place to measure from for everyone :)

Here's a diagram from the website.

how-to-measure-ride-height5a-380-380.jpg

OME is good stuff. We're more than happy to say that and we would place ourselves along side them with reliability and quality. Our ideas of damping rates are very different however and we are one of the only companies around who actually make our own springs. We have our own spring plant that makes just our springs :)

I'm trying very hard to give our customers the very best customer service so if there are any questions or queries regarding parts, tech info that I can help with... I will.

Regards

Michael @ Pedders

Last edited:
Hi Clive,

Sorry I should have made that clearer :)

Pedders ride height measurements are taken from the bottom of the wheel rim to the bottom of the wheel arch.

This way, we take the tyre size out of the equation and it's an easy place to measure from for everyone :)

Here's a diagram from the website.

how-to-measure-ride-height5a-380-380.jpg

OME is good stuff. We're more than happy to say that and we would place ourselves along side them with reliability and quality. Our ideas of damping rates are very different however and we are one of the only companies around who actually make our own springs. We have our own spring plant that makes just our springs :)

I'm trying very hard to give our customers the very best customer service so if there are any questions or queries regarding parts, tech info that I can help with... I will.

Regards

Michael @ Pedders

Thanks very much for the clarification, and I admire your honesty and approach to the business. Too many people these days try to make themselves look better simply by castigating the opposition.

It's better to acknowledge your competitor's strengths and then strive to beat them, as Peddars (or you) seem to do.

Bravo Michael!

The OME rep that supplied me was very attentive too. He's a restaurant owner and ski instructor in Switzerland now, so I can't call him in for any info! A lot of people have complained of rusting shocks and springs on OME and Iron Man products, but after 6 yars of not so gentle treatment, my OME stuff is holding up well.

Thanks for your help. :clap::clap:

Back