Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

steel heater pipe on block 4.2 Diesel

Alwyn, good luck and post how it goes please. Perhaps a very sharp chisel against the block? A blow from a hammer may create a gap between the block and shoulder thereby leading to the use of a long lever? I guess it comes out in a straight angle.

I managed to get it.
The pipe sheared off after several attempts at 'walking' it out with plumbers pliers, but the hole left in the steel fitting allowed for a slide hammer to be used with an angled puller on it. Popped right out once this was done.
Some collateral damage was caused though -a sensor just behind the oil filter took a stray ricochet of a tool. I have been having difficulty identifying exactly what it is to order a replacement.
Anyone have a part number or diagram to help identify? 1996 HDj80 24v uk spec.

Inkedsensor_LI.jpg

Pretty sure that's the water/engine temperature sensor for the gauge on the instrument cluster. If the temperature gauge does not work, that will be it. Toyota dealer should give you the part number and price.

Was the pipe tapered or parallel sided?

there was no taper to the pipe - just a very snug fit. Once it started moving with the slide hammer it came along pretty easily.

going back in was much easy enough.

Part of the delay in getting it done was how cautious i was with the amount of force to apply - not had a lot of experience of working on parts in engine blocks.

the water temp sensor was a simple replacement too. all in all a very quick job to reassemble.

Back