Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Play 2002 Colorado

WillJ95COLORADO

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,

I've got a 2002 Collie (96k) and it's got some play in the steering. It seems to be from the steering box upwards and the wheel is ever so slightly offset to the left when going straight. I assume the two are related, ha e you got any ideas. Does the UJ wear or anything?

there are a few places where the steering can gain play. Bottom up you have the bushes of the steering rack, once worn can allow for the rack to move a bit side to side.
the slip joint could be lose (but quite unlikely as they normally are pretty tight)
the uni joint can gain a bit of movement too,
the steering column has a safety feature to allow the steering wheel to collapse in case of an accident. basically allows for one section to slide intoanother one. I know mine has a slight play there and it's normal although anoying. I heard of people drilling it an putting a nail through it and people tacking it with a spot weld. I wouldn't go that way personally, in case of collision wouldn't be good.

best way is to get under and have someone turn the wheel and see where you have play. as you mention a slight bias/offset it could likely be the rack bushes.. but just a guess

yes check your steering rack bushes, mine had a fair bit of play although looked ok,
fitted some poly bushes and it has improved a lot,

Back