Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy Steering

Nguruve

Country Flag
uk
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for a recent development on my 100. Yesterday the steering went quite heavy / lumpy. As you turn the steering wheel, the power steering seems to pulse slightly. If you turn, then let go of the wheel, the power steering only partially straightens the steering as you drive forward. Driving at speed, there are no vibrations or wobbles. I'm suspecting the power steering pump, but just wondered if anyone has any other suggestions, or has experienced similar?

Known issues: When I bought the Cruiser a couple years ago, I noticed a little bit of weeping from the steering rack. I've also always thought the steering rather vague. Power steering fluid level seems normal. Recently fitted a new set of Kumho MT51 tyres. I didn't get an alignment done when the tyres were fitted, as I know there's slight play in the lower ball joints. Just been waiting for an opportunity when I can spare the car long enough to get the ball joints done!

Cheers!

Last edited:
The steering column has some adjustment just above the rack you will see splines one nut clamps a collar to . Loosen the nut and if you can do a 3 point turn then tighten the nut up again .

I took my truck for a slow drive around the block with the nut loose .

Last edited:
The steering column has some adjustment just above the rack you will see splines one nut clamps a collar to . Loosen the nut and if you can do a 3 point turn then tighten the nut up again .

I took my truck for a slow drive around the block with the nut loose .
Thanks Shayne. What does this do? I'll go take a look and try it.

I don't think it actually serves a purpose beyond how everything goes together on the assembly line and it should never need adjusted . I worked out it binds steering when wrongly adjusted when i fitted a body lift .

Why yours might be wrongly set i can't imagine but costs nothing to loosen a bolt and tighten it again .

Could be the balls joints make the pump work to hard . I'm not familiar with the 100 series but i'm pretty sure you will regret it if they fail .

The lower ball joints on a '100' are thankfully different to those on a '90' with the joints in constant compression. There is far less chance of catastrophic failure but still worth replacing them if they are worn.
Bob.

Thanks Shayne and Bob.

Ball joints are definitely on the imminent to-do list, but they're not badly worn yet, just slight play. As you say, they could contribute to strain on the PAS pump, which I think looks to be the primary suspect at this point.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello everyone. I hope @Nguruve that you don't mind me jumping on this topic but I came on board to post a similar problem that I am having with my LC4 D4D 2006 Landcruiser with 85k miles. Suddenly yesterday when I went to drive the vehicle the steering felt different somehow. It becomes slightly more difficult to turn the wheel at the extremes of the stroke. Oil level is O.K. and I checked that it hadn't been put in 4wd by mistake. But I tried it again today and although it was slightly better (I think !) there is still that nagging extra effort required when on full lock and I start to turn the wheel to steer in the opposite direction.

If it was one of my other machines I would guess at either a slack/shot V-belt or a blocked filter. Does this vehicle have a steering oil filter and how is the pump driven ? I am getting a bit old to be scroffling about under these things nowadays but if anyone can help me with any advice and/or help it would be very much appreciated and I will have a go.

Last edited:
Brief update... I've not been able to address the PAS issue yet, but the steering has gone back to normal, so it's some sort of intermittent issue.

I think the first thing I'll do is flush the PAS fluid, and maybe add some Liqui Molly Stop-leak (is this a good idea?), then see if the problem returns.

The PAS pump is what I've been suspecting, but it's an expensive lump and a bit of a job to switch without a proper diagnosis.

The ball-joints are getting changed this week, but I don't think they're related to this issue, as they're not even knocking yet.

Hello everyone. I hope @Nguruve that you don't mind me jumping on this topic but I came on board to post a similar problem that I am having with my LC4 D4D 2006 Landcruiser with 85k miles. Suddenly yesterday when I went to drive the vehicle the steering felt different somehow. It becomes slightly more difficult to turn the wheel at the extremes of the stroke. Oil level is O.K. and I checked that it hadn't been put in 4wd by mistake. But I tried it again today and although it was slightly better (I think !) there is still that nagging extra effort required when on full lock and I start to turn the wheel to steer in the opposite direction.

If it was one of my other machines I would guess at either a slack/shot V-belt or a blocked filter. Does this vehicle have a steering oil filter and how is the pump driven ? I am getting a bit old to be scroffling about under these things nowadays but if anyone can help me with any advice and/or help it would be very much appreciated and I will have a go.
Hello @scooby, wow, that's a low-mileage LC4. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to help, but it is a bit of a different issue, especially being on a 120-Series. The 120 has permanent four wheel drive, so it would be worth checking that your central and rear diffs aren't locked, but that's unlikely given the question. Do you have any record of when your power steering fluid was last changed? I'm guessing it might be worth doing a flush. Are there any signs of weeping etc. from the steering rack?

Thank you @Nguruve for your helpful comments. To be honest I don't know much about the vehicle, I hardly ever drive the thing. I much prefer my Navara ! And because "She Who Must be Obeyed" is the principal driver I never service the vehicle in our workshops, it always goes to a nearby garage who we trust. For that reason I am not 100% sure of the exact model, hence the extract from the V5 below.

Cruiser-02.jpg

You mentioned permanent 4wd and because I thought that the issue resembled steering when a vehicle is in 4wd I checked that and it appears that 4wd can be engaged or dis-engaged on the vehicle and I switched that facility on and off but it didn't make any difference. The light came on the dash when it was engaged as you would expect and went off again when I switched it off. There is also a centre diff. lever which makes me think that, like most road vehicles that are labelled as being 4wd they are in actual fact true 2wd i.e. drive through both axles through a normal differential when the drive gets to the axle. The only true 4wd tractor I ever owned was an articulated one when the diffs. on both front and rear axles could be locked and the steering could work because it was articulated.

Are you able to tell me how the power steering pump is driven (belt, gears, chain ? ) and if there is a filter somewhere on the Cruiser please ? Thanks again for your help.

Hi @scooby, Sorry, I don't know about PAS details on the 120. I'd suggest starting a new thread in the "120 Series" forum.

Cheers.

Your Landcruiser is permanent 4x4 scooby , difflocks are for greater traction in difficult and usually off road situations .

Hi @scooby, Sorry, I don't know about PAS details on the 120. I'd suggest starting a new thread in the "120 Series" forum.

Cheers.
Thank you for that @Nguruve. But I have to admit to being very confused now. Are you telling me that, according to the V5, we have a 120 series ? Thank you for being so patient and helpful to me.

Your Landcruiser is permanent 4x4 scooby , difflocks are for greater traction in difficult and usually off road situations .
And thank you also for your help @Shayne. I am aware of the use of diff. locks, we have them on all our tractors. Interestingly, when I was a youth most tractors didn't have diff. locks and when they started tp appear, in the late 1950s, it was sensational. I will get the user manual out of the Cruiser and attempt to clarify the matter.

Wiht respect @Shayne I don't think my Cruiser is in "permanent 4x4" Firstly, I am fairly sure that there are no diff. locks on the vehicle. Please see the image below of the actual controls and then the user manual :

Cruiser-04.JPG

I don't think that my vehicle is ever in 4wd. I think that when the button that is showing the 2 axles is pressed that then engages drive to the front axle by connecting the normal shaft that goes to the rear axle to a shaft that goes to the front axle. And if there was a means of locking the differentials in either or both of those axles you wouldn't be able to steer the vehicle. I stand to be corrected on all this of course.

Cruiser-03A.jpg

Back